Perimenopause is menopausal transition; it is an interval wherein the woman’s body shifts from regular cycles of menstruation and ovulation to infertility, or menopause. You may notice the signs in your late 30s or 40s. Periods become irregular; there may be hot flashes, vaginal dryness and insomnia. Once you have gone through 12 successive months without menstrual bleeding, you have reached menopause, and perimenopause is over.
Perimenopause is a natural stage in a woman’s life. The fertility cycle ends. The ovaries synthesize the hormones estrogen, progesterone and androgen. Estrogen shields the body from cardiac diseases, wrinkles, osteoporosis, and colon cancer.
Signs And Symptoms Of Perimenopause
The following are the common manifestations of perimenopause:
- Irregular menstrual periods – the periods may be light, heavy, shorter or longer.
- Hot flushes, night sweats.
- Difficulty in sleeping.
- Mood changes, nervousness, depression, crabbiness, irritability.
- Dry skin and / or hair loss.
- Dryness of the vagina.
- Loss of or reduced libido.
- Incontinence and inability to hold urine.
The symptoms and clinical features of perimenopause may ecome in the late 30s or early 40s; whilst menopause sets in by the 50s. The time before menopause may last up to 10 to 15 years in some women.
Natural Remedies For Perimenopause Symptoms
Making healthy lifestyle changes helps allay most of the symptoms of perimenopause and also promotes good health and general well being as you age. Doctors and experts recommend the following:
- Good nutrition: you must eat well and include all the macronutrients as well as the micronutrients in your diet. Meeting a nutritionist is a good idea. Your risk of developing cardiac diseases is rather high; consequently, a healthy diet is exceedingly important. Opt for a high fiber diet and low fat diet; the diet should be loaded with fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains.
- Regular exercise: exercise helps prevent weight gain, perks up sleep, fortifies the bones and elevates your mood. Exercise for half an hour at least thrice a week. Integrating walking and strength training helps prevent bone loss and fractures in women effectively. Exercise promises a host of benefits and is an excellent way of fighting off the symptoms of perimenopause.
- Stress reduction: stress must be managed at all costs. Stress can trigger depression, anxiety, anguish, insomnia, hypertension and weight gain. You must incorporate at least one stress reduction technique, such as, meditation, yoga, etc. in to your daily routine. These encourage relaxation, rejuvenation, and good health.
- Aromatherapy: essential oils have a very powerful influence on our body. Aroma oils can help alleviate stress, fatigue, depression and unease. Using the oils – either in a massage, in a diffuser or as a mood perfume yields brilliant results. Fix up weekly appointments with a licensed masseuse and make use of essential oils to obtain relief from the symptoms of perimenopuse. Essential oils such as – lavender, myrrh, frankincense, bergamot and juniper berry afford relief.