Many women suffer from foul smelling menstrual odor during their periods. This foul smelling odor can be a cause of embarrassment for the women. The normal discharge from the vagina has no smell. Foul smelling odor while menstruating is often linked to the presence of an infection around the vagina and the cervix.
There are however a host of other factors that may contribute towards menstruation odor. The natural change in pH of the vagina during menstruation also increases the risk of bacterial infections, which in turn is responsible for foul smelling menstruation.
What Causes Bad Menstruation Odor?
Here are some of the causes that are responsible for menstruation odor,
- Trichomonal infection of the vagina is considered to be a fairly common cause for foul smelling odor especially during menstruation. This vaginal infection can result in vaginitis, which is considered to be the primary factor responsible for bad odor form the vagina.
- Other infections include monilial infection which is more frequently observed in females suffering from diabetes or women who have been taking high grade antibiotics for several days at a time. Pregnant females and females using birth control pills are at an equally high risk of developing monilial infections.
- During menstrual cycles the levels of pH in the vagina change during menstruation. This makes the vagina more alkaline making it prone to bacterial infections.
- Occasionally some females may have forgotten a tampon inside the vagina, which may be responsible for emitting bad odor from the vagina.
Symptoms With Foul Odor During Menstruation
In addition to foul smelling menstruation odor, the females may also complain of a host of other symptoms, which may be indicative of the cause of foul smelling menstruation.
- Clots or dark red color menstrual discharge is observed when there is some form of obstruction which prevents the easy expulsion of menstrual fluids.
- Burning during urination may be experienced when the vaginal infection may eventually lead to urinary tract infection.
- Abdominal cramps associated with pain in the lower abdomen and vaginal region are commonly associated with an infection.
- Severe itching and irritation in the vagina is common especially when the condition is associated with a bacterial infection.
Home Remedies For Menstruation Odor
Here are some simple home based tips and natural remedies that are beneficial in management of menstrual odor,
- Always ensure that you change your sanitary pads regularly. Douching should be done to help absorb all the menstrual discharge and should be continued for about a week after the menstrual cycle is over.
- Sitz bath is considered beneficial. Add a few drops of savalon or any other disinfectant in your bath tub and sit in the bath tub with your genitals exposed. Sitz bath is beneficial in the management of bacterial infection which may be responsible for the bad odor.
- Alternatively add a few drops of tea tree oil to the bath tub. Tea tree oil has strong antimicrobial properties and also has a calming and soothing effect on the mind.
- Consume garlic which is considered to have strong antifungal and antibacterial properties. A glass of warm milk with a teaspoon of turmeric and raw honey is also considered to enhance the natural immune system of the body and fight against bacterial infections.