Early menstrual periods is one of the most common menstrual cycle related problems observed in females during their reproductive age group. There are a host of factors that cause early menstrual periods, resulting in shorter menstrual cycles. Fortunately, there are many home remedies that can be beneficial in the treatment of early menstrual cycle problem.
A normal menstrual cycle lasts for about 28 days (ranging from 23 days to 35 days), often associated with hormonal changes. However, many females suffer from early menstrual periods, a condition which is characterized by frequent menstrual periods, with menstrual cycles lasting for duration of less than 23 days.
What Causes Early Menstrual Periods?
The causes of early menstrual periods can be classified into psychological and physical factors. Studies have shown that physical factors namely hormonal changes are primarily associated with early menstrual periods,
- Psychological causes of early menstrual periods include anxiety, excessive physical or mental stress, mental fatigue, etc. Early menstrual periods have also been linked with emotional instability which is considered to affect the normal production of hormones in the body.
- Physical causes include alternation in the production of estrogen and progesterone, which are the primary female hormones. Faulty dietary practices, lack of physical activity, etc. are certain factors that are linked with alteration of the normal pattern of hormone secretion by the body. Women approaching menopause may also manifest symptoms of early menstrual periods.
Symptoms Associated With Early Menstruation
Normally in females the menstrual cycle may vary from 23 days to 35 days during which the ovum is released from the ovaries and the uterine endometrium undergoes several changes, as it prepares itself for implanting the fertilized ovum. In females however, suffering from early menstrual periods, the cycles are often anovulatory (i.
- Early menstrual cycles may be associated with excessive and prolonged bleeding which is referred to as ‘menorrhagia’ or may be associated with reduced quantity and duration of bleeding which is referred to as ‘hypomenorrhea’.
- In most cases, early menstrual periods are associated with severe pain and colic in the abdomen and pelvis, which is referred to as ‘ Dysmenorrhea’.
- The other symptoms associated with early menstrual periods would include weakness, anemia, breathless and pallor, inability to concentrate, etc.
Home Remedies For Early Menstrual Cycle
Here are some dietary and home remedies that can be used from the treatment of early menstrual cycle,
- Inadequate sleep may result in hormonal imbalance and can be responsible for early menstrual periods. Limit the intake of caffeine and alcohol, as they can interfere with sleep. Herbs like St. John’s Wort and Saffron are beneficial in inducing sleep and managing emotional stress.
- Increase the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded with Vitamins and minerals and hence help in management of hormonal irregularities.
Include phyto-estrogenic foods like black cohosh and soy in your diet. These foods complement that natural estrogen produced in the body and thereby help in regulating hormonal imbalances in the body. However consult your physician and identify the cause for early menstrual cycle before undertaking the treatment.