Our skin becomes thin with age due to certain undesirable changes on the skin. There are a multitude of other reasons that make the skin thin too and we can control many of them. What’s more these can be prevented when we are young. Following a regular skin care routine and shielding your skin from the harsh effects of sun and pollution can help you maintain a good skin for a long, long time.
What Causes Thinning Of The Skin?
- Age is the chief cause for thinning of the skin. With age, the fatty layer in the skin tends to lessen.
- Sun damage is another significant cause. Loss of collagen is speeded up when your skin is exposed to the UV rays of the sun, and this makes the skin thin.
- Dry skin is a lot more vulnerable to thinning than a skin that is well moisturized.
- Also, one who consumes inadequate amounts of protein tends to have a thinner skin.
- Certain medications, such as topical or oral corticosteroids, weaken and deteriorate the skin’s blood vessels and affect the skin adversely. Steroids speed up thinning of the skin.
- Certain disorders and medical conditions cause the skin to become thin, these are: Frohlich syndrome, growth hormone receptor deficiency, Ehler’s-Danlos syndrome, Cushing syndrome, Cockayne Syndrome, adrenal cancer, and Fontaine-Farriaux-Blanckaert Syndrome.
- Genetics too plays a role in thinning of the skin.
Treatment And Home Remedies For Skin Thinning
The following guidelines will help protect your skin from further damage and thinning:
- Care for your skin. Protect it from the injurious effects of the sun. Use a good sun block and cover up when in the sun. Shades for the eyes and a scarf are definitely recommended.
- Mix pure Camellia seed oil and Lavender essential oil with a carrier oil such as almond oil or wheat germ oil. Use this blend daily to massage your skin. It protects and nourishes your skin effectively.
- Make sure your diet has adequate amounts of fish oil or flax seeds. These keep your skin hydrated and also strengthen collagen.
- Incorporate loads of vitamin E, vitamin A and vitamin C rich foods in your daily menu. These are the skin vitamins which helps keep your skin looking younger and healthy.
- Furthermore, you ought to be aware of drugs / medicines and medical conditions that damage and weaken your skin and cause bleeding and impairment to skin blood vessels. Talk to your doctor in case you are on to medications.