Have you ever thought why people have different shades of skin in different parts of the world? Well the answer may quickly click in your mind, and it is true, your skin color depends on sun exposure and to the intensity of ultraviolet rays your skin is exposed to.
You may have seen people lying on shores and beaches who deliberately love to tan their skin. Skin tanning is a natural process, where the skin color changes to darker shades from its original color.
What Causes Your Skin To Tan?
When your skin is exposed to ultraviolet rays of the sun for considerable time, there is excessive production of skin pigments called melanin, which is responsible for skin color.
While there are many people who desire to have their skin tanned, there are many others who would like to get rid of the tanned skin. But before discussing the ways to remove sun tan, let us make it clear that sun tan and sun burn are two different conditions. You should have clear idea regarding both entities. Sun tan is a physiological body process after exposure to sun, whereas sun burn is skin damage resulting from sun exposure. Sun burn requires medical attention, where as sun tan is not a cause of worry.
Moderate amount of sun exposure is recommended by medical fraternity, because of its beneficial property of vitamin D production in our body. However, overexposure to sun rays is not advised as it may damage the skin, giving rise to various skin conditions including sunburn and skin cancer.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Tanned Skin
Normally after few days, the tan fades away on its own if you take certain steps such as avoiding sun exposure. But if you are in a hurry to remove sun tan and get back the original skin tone, there are several home remedies that can help you to do so.
- Skin care and hygiene is very important. Bathing daily, helps the skin cells to regenerate at faster pace.
- Everyone is aware of bleaching qualities of lemon juice. Prepare a paste comprised of lemon juice, a pinch of turmeric powder and raw cow milk. Apply a thin layer of this mixture on the tanned skin surface. Let the mixture dry and thereafter, wash the area with cool water. Do it daily for few days.
- Mixture of lemon juice and potato juice is also beneficial for getting rid of skin tan. Both posses natural bleaching qualities. Apply the mixture on skin surface in evening. Let it remain for 15 minutes, after that wash your skin with cool water. Never step out in the sun for one hour after this procedure, since it may darken the skin further. For this reason the best time to apply it is in the evening hours.
- Applying plain raw milk on the skin surface can also help in fading the dark skin tone of sun tan. Apply it daily before bathing. After few days you will observe the difference. Milk not only helps in removing the tan, but it also makes your skin glow.
- Cucumber juice is also a tan home remedy that is worth trying. Extract cucumber juice from a fresh cucumber. Apply it daily on the skin.
While the above skin treatment are useful for removing the sun tan, here are some tips that will help in enhancing their effect.
- Avoid going out in the sun for one hour after applying the home remedies.
- Wear clothing that can prevent direct exposure to sun. For this wear long sleeve shirts and long trousers. Wear white colored clothes and cover your head with a hat.
- Apply sun screen lotion 30 minutes before going out in sun.
- Use an umbrella to avoid direct exposure to sun rays.