Medical term used for skin tag is acrochordon or fibroepthelial polyp. Skin tags are small polyps or tumors that occur in the area where creases are present. Thus commonly affected areas are neck, groin and armpits. They are also found on face especially eyelids. They are harmless.
What Causes Skin Tags On The Neck?
Exact cause of development of skin tag is not known. Skin tags are found in body parts which have more skin creases. As neck has more skin creases, it is one of the most commonly affected body part with skin tags.
Research has shown the presence of low risk HPV 6 and 11 in skin tags. Heredity also plays vital role in development of skin tags. Women are more prone to develop skin tags than men. Around forty six percent of population is affected with skin tag.
Occasionally skin tags are associated with Acromegaly, polycystic ovarian syndrome and Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome.
Symptoms Of Skin Tags On Neck
- Skin tags are like extended growth of skin with stalk. Stalk is called as peduncle.
- It looks like polyp or small tumor.
- It is painless and harmless.
- Color of skin tag is similar to that of the skin or little darker than the skin.
- Usually size and color do not change over a period of time. Occasionally size increases very slowly over a period of time.
- Usually size of skin tag is similar to that of a rice grain. Sometimes bigger size has been noticed.
- Surface of skin tag can be smooth or it may have irregular surfaces.
- Skin tags may get irritated due to friction with clothes, jewellery or shaving. Then it may become painful due to inflammation.
Microscopic studies show that skin tags consist of fibrovascular core with some fat cells and it is covered by epidermis. If there is a sudden increase in size, change in color or if it has become painful, consult your doctor at the earliest.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Skin Tags
As skin tags are harmless and painless, no treatment is required. Sometimes a person has multiple skin tags on the neck. Thus skin tag becomes a concern from cosmetic point of view. For cosmetic purpose skin tag can be removed. Treatment is taken under the guidance of dermatologist or other similarly trained professional person.
- The methods used for removal of skin tags are cryosurgery, surgical ligation, excision or cauterization.
- Homeopathic medicine Thuja helps to get rid of skin tags. Thuja is a deep acting remedy. Hence one must consult homeopath for proper dosages.
- Apply onion juice on the skin tag three times a day. It may help get rid of skin tag. Apple cider vinegar also can be used for local application. Consult your doctor before trying any home remedy.
- Do not tie skin tag at its root to cut off its blood supply in order to get rid of it on your own as it may have harmful effects on the skin.