Scaly foot is a condition which is associated with excessively dry skin which is associated with loss of elasticity. The scales on the skin are flakes of dried and dead skin which get accumulated in the outer layer of the skin. This dried and dead skin results in the formation of scales which is associated with a host of other symptoms like itching, irritation and formation of rash. Scaly feet need to be treated promptly to avoid infection and other complications. Simple remedies can be used to treat scaly feet.
What Causes Dry And Scaly Feet?
There are a host of factors that are responsible for scaly and dry feet,
- Inappropriate footwear: Using ill fitted foot wear can impact the health of the skin on the feet.
- Fungal Infections: Fungal infection of the feet is common and responsible for scaly feet. Also referred to as athlete’s foot the condition is associated with itching, swelling and inflammation of the feet. Prolonged exposure to moisture and poor ventilation are responsible for fungal infection in the feet which can contribute to scaly feet.
- Psoriasis: An autoimmune disorder, which is characterized by scaling of the skin, could be responsible for scaly feet. Unfortunately, there is little information about the factors responsible for the development of psoriasis.
- Disease conditions like diabetes, thyroid disorders, etc and certain medications are responsible for drying and chapping of the skin, which can lead to scaly feet.
- Prolonged exposure to water can also result in scaly feet. Dryness of the feet and scaly feet can also be attributed to advancing age.
Home Remedies For Dry And Scaly Skin
Though scaly feet are not associated with any health implications, they increase the risk of developing eczema or secondary infection of the feet and hence prompt treatment of scaly feet is required.
- Scrub your feet regularly. Scrubbing the feet can help remove dead cells and expose the healthy layer of the skin. Using sponge or gloves to start exfoliating gently. Ensure that the scrubbing is gentle to prevent damage to the skin.
- Using moisturizing cream can be beneficial to keep the skin moist and healthy. Local application of aloe vera cream or petroleum jelly is considered beneficial in the management of the condition.
- Local application of vitamin E oil is considered beneficial in the management of dry and scaly feet. Vitamin E is loaded with anti-oxidants that prevent free radical damage and it also plays a crucial role in moisturizing the skin. Combination of vitamin E oil with olive oil is a great remedy to cure scaly feet.
- An appropriate diet also plays a vital role in ensuring management of scaly feet. Increase the intake of water and drink a minimum of three liters of water each day. Further, limit the intake of caffeine and nicotine, as these stimulants are responsible for dehydration and cause drying of the skin. Limit the intake of trans fats and saturated fats which can also result in water retention in the body and impact the overall skin health.