Scabies is contagious skin condition which caused due to skin infestation by sarcoptes scabiei. The itch mite infestation is associated with severe itching in the skin, which is often aggravated at night. The itch mite is a tiny parasite which burrows into the layers of the skin to produce symptoms like severe itching. While scabies mites are not visible to naked eyes, they can be seen via a microscope or a magnifying glass.
The condition can be associated with severe distress and primarily linked with poor hygiene. There are several home based treatments and remedies that can help in the management of the condition.
Scabies is the most common skin condition which is prevalent globally and is estimated to infect about 300 million people each year. Scabies is also one of the oldest reported skin diseases in the history of mankind. This condition is frequently observed in individuals of lower socioeconomic status, however poor skin hygiene can lead to the infestation of this mite in people of all ages. Episodes of outbreaks of scabies have been recorded in hospitals, long care facilities and nursing homes.
Causes And Symptoms Of Scabies
Scabies is caused due to the itch mite which multiples and lives in the skin. The condition is highly contagious and spreads from one person to another through contact. This is one of the reasons why outbreaks of scabies can be linked with larger social settings like schools, hospitals, old age homes, etc.
Another important cause of scabies is poor skin hygiene and is frequently observed in people belonging to low socioeconomic groups. Scabies can however not survive in temperatures below 10 C.
Signs And Symptoms Of Scabies
Some of the common signs and symptoms of scabies include some of the following,
- Skin rash with characteristic red blisters or bumps on the skin is a common feature.
- Severe and intense itching with is worse at night is the most characteristic symptom of the condition
- Occasionally the bumps may be covered with blood crusts due to excessive scratching of the skin.
Natural Remedies For Scabies Cure
Scabies can fortunately be treated at home with simple natural remedies. Here are some useful tips to treat the condition,
- Local application of tea tree oil is useful in killing the mites. Apply tea tree oil on the skin and let it remain through the night. The mites usually come out to the surface of the skin at night and are killed on exposure to tea tree oil. Studies have shown that tree tea oil is more potent than conventional therapies.
- Apply a paste of turmeric on the skin. Turmeric has strong antibacterial properties which can help kill the mite, which also prevent inflammation of the skin, which can lead to itching.
- Maintaining skin hygiene like bathing twice a day, keeping the skin dry, etc are also important to prevent the infestation of the skin by these mite.