People pay less attention to their scalp as most of the time it remains hidden under cover of hair. They think about it only when some skin conditions, infection or irritation occurs on scalp. All these conditions can affect the hair follicles of the scalp to become inflamed leading to painful bumps or rashes. In some cases it can cause hair loss, while sometime painful bumps on scalp can be annoying and embarrassing.
It may be even more frustrating when the reason behind these painful pimples like bump is not known. For this reason, it is necessary to understand the cause behind development of bumps on scalp, as then, they can be treated successfully.
What Causes Painful Bumps On Scalp?
- Staphylococcus infection (folliculitis): staphylococci are type of bacteria that may invade the hair follicle and trigger intense itching and formation of painful red and pus filled bumps on scalp. Usually the condition is prevalent in summer when the person sweats more on scalp.
- Ringworm: it is a type of fungus infection of scalp. The condition is extremely contagious. Sharing of comb with an infected person can spread the disease. The condition is also called tinea capitis. It is characterized by round, red and scaly bumps on the scalp. They are painful and itchy. The bumps are filled with pus if there is secondary bacterial infection.
- Psoriasis of scalp: the scalp skin becomes extremely tender and itchy in psoriasis of scalp. Formation of thick shiny scales is characteristic diagnostic feature of this condition.
- Infected sebaceous cyst: a cyst is a fluid filled sac present in the upper layer of the skin. It forms a bump which when palpated is usually soft and fluctuating. Sometimes the cyst can get infected and give rise to pain. If it bursts, there is sticky and thick discharge which may have foul odor.
- Head lice, scabies can also give rise to bumps on scalp when the skin of scalp is affected. However, there is more of itching rather than pain in this condition.
- Cancerous growth of scalp skin can be a reason for painful bump on scalp. Generally it is seen on the part of scalp which is not covered by hairs.
Treatment For Itchy Bumps On Scalp
Most cases of bumps on scalp and other scalp and hair problems can be taken care of by following good hair care regimen.
You should avoid using shampoos and conditioners that are harsh for your scalp skin, instead choose milder variety. This will prevent dryness of the scalp skin.
- In case the painful and itchy bumps are due to ringworm or other fungus infection, anti-fungal shampoo has to be used. Use it as per the direction given on the shampoo pack. If the problem is deep seated, the person may need to take prescription anti-fungal medication.
- Oral antibiotics may be necessary if painful bumps on scalp are due to staphylococcal infection.
- Boil Azadirachta indica leaves in water. Use this water to wash your scalp and hairs. It is beneficial natural remedy in folliculitis and other scalp infections. It is also effective in treating head lice and scabies infection.
- Eat healthy food that contains vitamins, minerals and proteins. They are essential for increasing immunity of the body. If the immune system is strong the cure occurs at faster pace.
- Avoid sharing of combs to prevent spread of ringworm infection or staphylococcus infection of scalp.
- In case if the painful bumps are due to psoriasis of scalp, patient needs to be examined by the health care practitioner.
- Rinsing the scalp with apple cider vinegar helps in soothing the pain and itching of bumps in psoriasis of scalp. Due to the alkaline nature of apple cider vinegar, it reduces inflammation and irritation in the scalp.
- You can also apply ice cube on the scalp if the bumps are severely painful.
- Rinse the scalp with chamomile tea. It gives relief in pain and irritation caused by bumps on scalp.