Oily skin is shiny and has coarse pores, pimples, eruptions and other embarrassing blemishes. In this skin type, the oil manufacturing glands, i.e. the sebaceous glands are highly overactive and release more sebum / oil than is required. The sebum oozes out and imparts a greasy shine to the skin.
The causes for having an oily face are multi-factorial –
- Diet: Has a pivotal role to play; consuming oily, fatty, greasy foods as well as too much of refined foods make the skin oily and undesirable.
- Hormone levels: Changes in the hormone profile is an important factor, more so, during adolescence when acne manifests.
- Using birth control pills is another cause.
- Genetics and hereditary also play roles.
- Cosmetics and skin care products that you use can trigger skin problems.
- Humidity and hot weather too make the skin of the face oily and greasy.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Oily Face
- An oily skin requires a special routine; cleanse with plenty of warm water and soap to make sure that the pores do not get clogged. Steer clear of harsh skin care products which strip your skin of all oil and cause flakiness.
- Use an oil-free moisturizer to maintain a shine-free complexion.
- Wash your face 2 to 3 times a day. Too much washing makes the produce more oil.
- Egg white is an excellent home remedy for the skin. It helps get rid of the blemishes as well as tones up an oily skin. Massage the egg white in to your skin, leave on for an hour; rinse off.
- Lemon juice works like an astringent. It is also a powerful anti-bacterial and helps deal with boils and pimples. Lime juice lightens the skin tone and restores the skin’s pH balance as well.
- Yogurt is another potent remedy to battle oily skin issues. It contains lactic acid which gently exfoliates the skin and absorbs all the excess oil. Apply yogurt all over your face and leave on for half an hour. Rinse off.
- Tomatoes are wonderful for oily skin – it has powerful cleansing, detoxifying and astringent properties. The high vitamin C content helps fight of pimples and acne successfully. What’s more, tomatoes have natural oil-absorbing acids which help get rid of all the surplus oil. Blend a tomato and massage the juice onto your skin. Keep for 15 – 30 minutes. Rinse off.
- Apples have also been used to manage an oily skin; they proffer soothing and anti-septic benefits. Malic acid in the fruit exfoliates grease and grime and absorbs the surplus oil. Grate an apple and place over the face. Keep for 10 minutes; then wash off.
- Water plays a pivotal role in maintaining a healthy, radiant skin. Water keeps the skin well hydrated and helps tackle most skin problems. Have 2 to 3 liters of water daily.
- Also, confer with a dermatologist and start supplementation. Vitamins A, E, and C are known as ‘skin’ vitamins. They ensure that you have a healthy, blemish free skin.