Jock itch is a type of ringworm. It is a fungal infection and is contagious. It is also known as tinea cruris in medical language. It affects the skin of groin, inner thigh and skin around genitals and anus. It can be treated easily and also can be prevented easily by following good hygiene.
Common causes of jock itch are:
- Jock itch is caused by mold like fungi called as dermatophytes. We have microscopic bacteria and fungi living on our body even in healthy condition. They live on the dead cells of our skin, hair and nails.
- The groin and the area of inner thigh are usually moist and warm, thus good medium for the growth of dermatophytes resulting into irritation and rash.
- Wearing tight undergarments can lead to jock itch. Due to tight garments genital area remains moist due to sweat for longer duration thus causing tinea infection.
- Obese children and children who perspire a lot are more susceptible to this infection.
- Sharing clothes, using public swimming pool can spread this infection.
- Children with low immunity or children who are diabetic or with HIV are prone to this infection.
Symptoms Of Jock Itch In Children
Child may complain of itching and burning in groin and inner thighs. The affected area appears re and inflamed.
There is circular, red rash with elevated edges. One may also see flaking of the skin in the affected area. Child feels uncomfortable in clothing and also while walking due to friction between clothes and the affected skin. Child will be irritable due to above mentioned symptoms.
Home Remedies For Jock Itch In Children
- Jock itch can be treated successfully with anti-fungal creams. Apply the cream on the affected part as mentioned on the product label.
- Keep the area clean and dry and spray it with anti-fungal powder.
- After exercise or if you are sweaty take a shower to clean the sweat and grit.
- Use separate towels for affected area and rest of the body.
- Do not share clothes and towels with anybody.
- Mix coconut oil with five drops of olive oil and apply it on the affected area twice a day. This mixture has anti-fungal property.
- Wear loose undergarments.
- Take a shower before and after swimming session.
- Change your undergarment at least twice a day.
- Mix water with lemon juice and apply on the skin. This restores the natural acid layer of the skin.
- Take healthy diet to improve immunity.