Itchy feet are a common and persistent problem which tends to affect several individuals. Irritation of the skin caused due to a skin infection is often the most common cause of itchy feet. Other causes are excessive sweating of the feet or wearing tight and closed footwear for prolonged periods or poor feet hygiene.
Though the condition is completely treatable and not associated with any significant health hazards, persistently itchy skin can be annoying and often distressing. Itchy feet can be effectively treated with home remedies and natural therapies.
What Causes Itchy Feet At Night?
Itchy feet are caused due to a wide range of infections that affect the feet.
- Athlete’s Foot: An infection caused due to a fungi, Tinea pedis, athlete’s foot is commonly associated with moist and humid feet, due to excessive exposure to water.
- Tunga penetrans: Another skin infection caused by a fungus which is found in moist soil. The condition is common among individuals whose feet are exposed to moist soil.
- Contact dermatitis: An inflammatory condition of the skin, as an allergic response to contact is also a common cause of itchy feet.
- Cutaneus Larva Migrans is a parasite that causes skin infection and is caused due to walking in moist soil or sand barefoot. It is common in the tropical and subtropical regions.
Burning Itchy Feet At Night
Scabies is a skin condition which involves a tiny itch mite that entering the skin surface and causing irritation and itching. The mite usually crawls under the skin surface and reproduces within. Since the mite almost always crawls at night, it results in itching feet at night.
The symptoms of the condition include hot and burning feet, severe itching at night, formation of blisters due to allergic reaction, etc.
In addition there are severe other chronic conditions such as diabetes and cracked feet, that are responsible for itchy feet at night.
Home Remedies For Dry Itchy Feet
Here are some simple treatment options for management of hot itchy feet at night,
- Change your footwear. Avoid wearing shoes for long periods of time, instead wear floaters. This prevents the feet from becoming too humid and moist, especially during the summers. Humid and moist feet are one of the leading causes for feet infection and itchy feet.
- Dip your feet in warm water and add a few drops of Savlon or any other antiseptic. This helps in cleaning the feet and prevents bacterial infections.
- Wear clean and washed socks every day. Prefer cotton socks over socks prepared from synthetic material. Cotton absorbs the sweat and prevents the feet from becoming humid and moist.
- Application of essential oils is found to be very beneficial in treatment of itchy feet. Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties and prevents fungal and bacterial infections.
- Local application of vinegar is also known to reduce the occurrence of bacterial and fungal infections.
- Application of talcum powder or cornstarch helps absorb the moisture in the feet and protects the feet from fungal infection.