When hair gets trapped in hair follicle beneath the skin it causes inflammation and infection resulting in ingrown pimple. Ingrown pimples occur in the areas that crease for example groin, axilla or in the areas that are shaved frequently for example face in men. Simple steps can be taken to treat and prevent ingrown pimples.
What Causes Ingrown Pimple?
- Hair which grows from hair follicle may curl and re-enter the follicle from which it has grown and result in ingrown pimple.
- People who have curly hair are more likely to develop ingrown pimple.
- Shaving is one of the most common causes for ingrown pimple.
- Dead skin cells may cover the hair follicle after shaving and due to this hair gets trapped in the follicle.
Ingrown Pimple Symptoms
Beard, bikini area and legs are common parts on which ingrown pimple can occur. It can also occur on thighs and buttocks.
Ingrown pimple looks like small red bump on the skin. It will be tender to touch. It usually starts few days after shaving and may worsen as hair grows. It looks similar to acne.
Secondary infection may develop. Usually secondary infection is caused by staphylococcus and Pseudomonas. Pustule is formed due to secondary infection. Rarely abscess may develop.
How To Prevent And Treat An Ingrown Pimple?
- Scrub your skin regularly with scrubber while bathing. Scrubbing helps exfoliation of dead skin cells which are responsible for blocking hair follicle. Thus scrubbing is an important step to prevent ingrown pimple.
- Dip the cloth in steaming hot water and wring it. Put this cloth with bearable temperature on the affected area and keep it till cloth becomes warm. Steam will help to open the pores and relieve the ingrown pimple.
- Apply warm compress on ingrown pimple. If follicle has opened then trapped hair will look like a loop. Lift this loop with the help of sterile needle or tweezers and pull it little so that trapped end of hair can come out. Let the root of hair remain intact so that skin will heal around it.
- Avoid shaving in wrong direction. Before shaving wet the concerned area and apply lubricating shaving gel. Always shave along the direction of hair. Avoid close shave.
- Do not shave the affected area till it gets completely healed.
- Use depilatory cream. It helps to soften the hair and prevents entrapment of hair.
- Local antibiotic cream can be used after consulting your doctor. In severe and chronic cases doctor may advise course of oral antibiotics.
- Avoid using dull razor. Use sharp razor.
- Massage your skin especially beard region with circular motion to dislodge stubborn tips.
- Apply saline solution on the ingrown pimple to prevent secondary infection.
- Instead of shaving one can allow hair to grow freely if possible.
- Take one tablespoon of granulated sugar and mix it with baby oil and gently scrub your skin with this mixture. One can also use sea salt instead of sugar.