The skin comprises of pigment cells called melanin, which play a vital role in protecting the skin from harmful effects of ultraviolet radiations. These pigmented cells are responsible for the skin color and are naturally found in higher concentration in certain races.
Tan on the skin is referred to as darkened tone of the skin, especially in reference to the natural skin color. Using simple home remedies can help improve the skin tone by a couple of shades, though its efficacy may vary from person to person.
What Causes Tanning Of The Skin?
The primary cause of tanning of the skin is exposure to the sun.
Natural Ways To Untan Your Skin
Here are some simple home remedies and natural treatments that can help reduce the detrimental effects of prolonged exposure to the sun and help get a fairer skin,
- Add a pinch of turmeric to yoghurt and apply it on the skin for about 30 minutes prior to having a bath. Turmeric is considered to have potent anti-aging and nourishing properties, while yoghurt helps soothing the skin.
- Add one table spoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice to raw potato juice and apply it on the skin for about 15 minutes, prior to washing it with lukewarm water. Lemon contains vitamin c which helps improve skin health, while potato juice is loaded with antioxidants, which can help neutralize the negative effects of sun exposure on the skin.
- Some experts recommend scrubbing the skin with a mixture of equal parts of lemon juice with sugar or Epsom salt.
- A paste of sandalwood with almond is also considered helpful to deal with sun tan.
- Local application of cucumber and milk cream is also considered beneficial. Both have a soothing effect on the skin and also help lighten the skin tone considerably.
- Scrubbing the skin with oatmeal is another essential technique which helps lighten the skin. Some experts recommend applying oat meal with honey and ripe papaya. Honey has a soothing effect on the skin while papaya helps improve overall skin health. After scrubbing the skin, it is recommended that it should be washed out with warm water within a few minutes.
- Coconut water is another magical remedy which is very useful to deal with skin tone and texture. Local application of the fleshy part within the coconut on the skin for a few minutes each day can help improve the skin tone and protect it from tanning.
While these techniques can help improve the skin tone, there are certain other precautionary measures that need to be followed,
- Avoid direct exposure to the sun. If you expect to be outdoors, apply SPF15 skin lotion before stepping out.
- Ensure that you use adequate protection in the form of a hat or full sleeve cloths, to protect from afternoon sun.
- Ensure adequate intake of Vitamin A and Vitamin E rich foods for a healthy skin.