“Never judge a book by its cover” is a proverb that may have a deep meaning. But for many people the primary focus of beauty is their face. In such cases, eczema on face can be extremely distressing for a person. Eczema is a common inflammatory skin condition, affecting vast population around the globe. It can occur on any part of the body, but predominantly it affects legs, face, neck, scalp, knees, ankles and elbow.
In its initial phase, eczema appears as dry, itchy, red skin lesion. It is easy to cover eczema on legs, hands but when present on face, it is difficult to hide.
Common Causes Of Eczema On The Face
Eczema on face can result due to many reasons.
One of the main reasons for eczema on face is allergy. Allergy to substances touched, inhaled or ingested. You can be allergic to ingredients present in make up or even lipstick. Earrings and ornaments worn around the neck can also produce allergic reaction in some individuals. In most cases, ornaments which contain nickel in it are responsible for eczema on face. Such types of eczema are also called allergic contact dermatitis.
There are several other factors such as dust mite, pollen, animal dander, and droppings that are responsible for facial eczema.
Lack of moisture can produce dry skin. Dry skin can lead to extreme itching and scratching. Constant scratching will lead to break in epidermis; it is the top layer of the skin. It becomes a potential cause for infection and consequent eczema. Facial skin has to face the brunt of cold weather. Your face becomes dry in cold climate. It is for this reason eczema on face is common in winter season.
Aside from this, atopic eczema on face is common among children. No exact reason is detected.
Nuts, dairy products, foods containing artificial flavors and colors, chocolate, fish, food containing sodium glutamate and excess intake of alcohol are all responsible for eczema on face.
Home Remedies To Cure Eczema On The Face
Every person has different skin type and so the treatment for facial eczema may differ.
- Prepare a paste by mixing oatmeal, honey, and warm water. Apply it on your face and wash it after 15 minutes. It is an effective natural treatment for eczema on the face.
- In winter season, apply coconut oil on the face. It is a good natural moisturizer. Even fish oil may help to an extent in relieving the symptoms such as itching and burning of facial eczema.
- Aloe Vera is a useful plant. It has multifarious uses in skin care problems. Just break off a leaf and squeeze the moisture on the brim. It has become a popular skin hydrant. It gives relief in itching and inflammation.
- If you are suspecting the cause of facial eczema to be food additives, then avoid all food preparations that contain these ingredients.
- Also in children, dairy allergy is common. If it is so, choose foods that do not contain dairy products.
- Drink enough water to keep your skin well hydrated.