Eczema is a chronic inflammatory skin disorder which results into dryness, itching, swelling, scaling, or oozing of particular portion of skin. In severe cases, cracks and fissures may appear on the eczematous surface. There is no better person to understand what an itch is, other than a person who experiences an eczema itch.
Eczematous itch is intolerable; it makes the person to scratch his skin repeatedly till his skin bleeds. Often the rash can become red and inflamed with blister formation. The fluid may ooze from the blisters. Itching due to eczema may drive you crazy.
What Are The Causes Of Eczema?
Let us know what causes the breakout of eczema.
Still not known with certainty what the exact cause of eczema is, people contribute it to several triggering factors. One such common triggering factor people relate to is food allergy. While it may be partially true, it is not the only cause. Genetic predisposition is well acclaimed, if there is a family history of asthma, hay fever, or eczema you are likely to suffer from it.
Here is a list which is known to trigger the breakout of eczema. Since eczema is very individual issue, the triggering factor cannot be generalized. One person can tolerate the triggering factor while for someone else it may be a cause for eczema.
- Soaps and detergents, especially with perfumes and fragrant and harsh chemicals.
- Winter season with dry climate and less of moisture in environment.
- Very hot climate or sweaty skin.
- Dust mites, itchy woolen clothes.
- Wearing imitation jewelry.
- Foods that include cow milk, egg, peanuts, wheat flour, shell fish, food colors and additives, etc.
- Local factors such as dryness of skin (Xeroderma), a greasy skin, varicose veins resulting in chronic congestion interfering with circulation, are predisposing causes for eczema.
- Emotional stress.
- Certain vitamins and mineral deficiency such as vitamin A, B6, zinc, magnesium, and essential fatty acid deficiency.
Natural Treatment For Eczema Itching Relief
There are many natural home remedies that can bring relief from eczema itch:
- Cold compresses is beneficial when there is eczema itch and skin irritation.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel on the itching surface. If fresh Aloe Vera leaf is available nothing better than this. Slice the leaf and dab the juice over the eczematous area. Aloe Vera juice effectively controls itching.
- To prevent itching in first place, drink enough water and do not allow your skin to dehydrate.
- Keep your skin well moisturized. Apply a good moisturizer. Applying an emollient is more beneficial for relieving itching.
- Lotion made of blueberry leaves is said to relieve inflammation and itching produced due to eczema.
- Take two to three vitamin E capsules break it open and apply the oil on the itchy surface. Vitamin E is known to fight eczema itch.
- To relieve itching, you can also break open zinc capsule and apply the content over the eczematous area.
- Apply coconut oil on the eczematous surface. It not only relieves itching but also keeps the area well moisturized.
- Oat meal baths has been proven to be the best home remedy for alleviating itchy skin. Whether the reason is eczema or urticaria, it always soothes the itchy skin. To prepare oat meal bath, add a cup or two of porridge oats in warm water. Soak the area for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of comfrey roots, 1 teaspoon of slippery elm, and 2 cups of water in a bowl. Boil the content for 30 minutes. Once the concoction cools down, wash the itchy eczematous area with it.
- Mash a ripe papaya and apply the ingredient on the itchy eczematous skin. It is one of the effective home remedy for relieving eczema itch.
- Avoid harsh soaps and detergents as they contain chemicals that may not suit your skin.