It is common to have dark discoloration of the underarms in comparison to the color tone of the rest of the body. In most cases, the dark underarms are not linked with any medical or health condition.
While there are several causes that can lead to dark underarms, here are six top causes that have been linked with the condition,
- Shaving the armpit is considered to be the most common cause. In most cases, shaving results in stubble which causes the underarms to look darker. Use of hair removal creams also tends to have a similar problem.
- Excessive sweating can lead to bacterial growth which in turn can result in accumulation of dead cells in your underarms. This typically results in darkish discoloration of the skin in the armpits. Further, inadequate hygiene can lead to infections and skin rash.
- Excessive use of antiperspirants or deodorants can also cause dark pigmentation of the underarms. In most cases, this discoloration is attributed to a milder form of contact dermatitis, which can be associated with itching and burning. It is recommended to change the deodorants and antiperspirants or opt for natural methods to cover underarm odor.
- Friction is one of the primary causes for dark color of the underarms. Apparently dark underarms are more common in obese individuals, due to excessive friction within the skin folds. Also use of tight underarm clothing or non cotton clothing can increase the probability of friction, leading to dark underarms.
- Some experts attribute this condition to hereditary factors. Use of oral contraceptives is also considered to bring about hormonal changes in the body, which in turn are associated with darker underarms.
- Diabetes is also associated with dark underarms.
- Aconathosis nigricans is a medical condition which is linked with dark underarms.
Naturally Ways To Lighten Dark Underarms
Here are some natural ways to whiten the dark armpits. Prior to using these simple home remedies it is important to opt for waxing or electrolysis over shaving and avoid the use of antiperspirants or deodorants. It is recommended to use natural products like tea tree oil.
- Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice under your armpits each day prior to bathing. Lemon juice is natural bleach and will help whiten the skin. Lemon juice also acts as a moisturizer, removing debris of dead cells and softening the skin.
- Prepare a lightening mask comprising of gram flour, yoghurt, turmeric powder and a few drops of lemon. Apply this mask to the underarms and leave it for about 15 to 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water. Repeat this for a couple of weeks. Turmeric powder helps remove dead cells while yoghurt and flour nourish the skin. Lemon acts as a bleaching agent.
- Applying slices of potato under the skin also helps bleach the skin. Alternatively one can use cucumber, which is loaded with antioxidants and helps remove the dead cell debris.
- Apply a paste of sandalwood and rose water to the underarms to lighten them. Sandalwood helps soften the skin and remove the dead cells while rose water has a soothing sensation.
- Local application of creams containing vitamin A and vitamin E are also beneficial to deal with dark underarms discoloration.