To have dark skin is considered to be a taboo by many people, especially when it is around the neck. They try end number of ways to lighten the discoloration without knowing that the skin complexion most of the time has been inherited. Few of them may try to hide dark patches around the neck by wearing turtle collar shirts even in warm summer weather.
Melanin is the pigment which gives color to the skin. More the number of melanin pigments darker the skin color. Some people are born dark due to heredity, while some people may have dark skin due to hyper pigmentation as a result of many reasons that we would like to discus in the next paragraph.
What Causes Dark Skin Around The Neck?
- As mentioned earlier, the commonest cause for dark discoloration around the neck is due to heredity. If your father or mother or grandparents have dark neck you may also have dark discoloration around your neck.
- Overproduction of melanin pigments around the neck may give rise to darker skin in that region. Usually excessive and prolonged exposure to sunlight will result in overproduction of skin pigments.
- Skin diseases such as lichen planus can cause dark complexion around the neck. The other symptoms may include raised dark patches and itching.
- Excessive sweating around the neck may result in dark discoloration. This is because of presence of uric acid in sweat.
- Women suffering from PCOS and hypothyroidism may have dark skin around her neck. It is due to imbalance in the body hormones.
- Hyper pigmentation can occur if the necklace you have worn causes allergic reaction with the skin.
- People who are obese are more susceptible to have dark skin around the neck.
- Other reasons for dark skin around the neck include fungus infection around the neck, diabetes, pregnancy, and intake of certain medications.
Home Remedies To Lighten Dark Skin Around The Neck
Since centuries people use herbal and natural means for their skin care.
- In summer after coming home apply cold butter milk over the face and neck region. Let it remain for 5 to 10 minutes before you wash it with cold water. Instead of buttermilk you can also use curd or yogurt.
- In winter: take half cup of milk and add few drops of lemon juice in it. Now with the help of cotton dab the content over the neck region.
- Take one teaspoon of gram flour, a pinch of turmeric powder and two teaspoons of milk. Mix the content in a bowl until it forms a paste. Now apply the prepared paste on the neck region and let it remain for 30 minutes. Rinse the area with water after that. Follow this regularly for few weeks and you will find astonishing change in the skin color around the neck.
- Take half cup of orange juice and one teaspoon of honey. Mix them well and apply it on your neck. Let the paste remain for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it with plain water. Follow this procedure regularly for few months to observe change in the skin complexion.
- Rubbing a slice of raw potato is another effective home remedy for lightening the darkened skin around the neck.