Cherry angioma was first described by British surgeon Campbell De Morgan in nineteenth century. Cherry angiomas are papules, cherry red in color, that appear on the surface of the skin on any part of the body. This papule contains abnormally proliferated blood vessels, which are non-malignant growths.
They are harmless and do not require any treatment. For cosmetic purpose one can remove them after consulting an expert. It is also called as senile angioma or Campbell De Morgan spots.
Generally middle aged people are more likely to develop cherry angioma. Usually they are seen after third decade of life.
- Chemical compounds such as mustard gas, bromides and cyclosporine may cause cherry angioma.
- Angiogenesis and vasculogenesis are responsible for the occurrence of cherry angiomas. There is increase in density of mast cells in cherry angioma than normal skin.
- Stress is one of the contributing factors for cherry angioma.
Characteristics Of Cherry Angioma
Cherry angioma occurs due to clusters of capillaries on the skin surface that form a papule with flat top. The color of cherry angioma varies from purple to bright red. Initially they may appear like small red spots. They vary in size. Size varies from pinhead to one fourth inch in diameter. Sometimes cherry angioma sticks out from the skin. There may be profuse bleeding if injured.
Cherry angioma can occur on any part of the body but more commonly they are seen on the trunk of the body. Report to the doctor if cherry angioma bleeds profusely or if the number increases significantly over the short period of time or if there is any change in color of angioma.
Generally no test is required to diagnose cherry angioma.
Home Remedies For Cherry Angioma
Generally no treatment is required for cherry angioma. For cosmetic purpose one can get rid of cherry angiomas by electrocautery, cryotherapy or laser treatment.
- Follow healthy regime to keep your skin clean and healthy.
- Mix equal quantity of sandalwood powder and turmeric powder and make paste with rosewater and apply on the area of cherry angioma. Keep it for half an hour and wash with warm water.
- Avoid unhealthy food items such as junk food. Include lot of fresh vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet to keep your skin healthy.
- Drink plenty of water which will help to remove toxins from the body.
- Vitamin A and vitamin E play important role in skin health. Take vitamin supplements after consulting your doctor.
- Try to reduce your stress level by practicing meditation and relaxation techniques.