Chapped lips simply mean dry lips with cracks and fissures. It is a painful condition, sometimes chapped lips bleed. Besides, going out with chapped lips for a social gathering may be embarrassing and annoying. With chapped lips it is difficult to talk or eat. Life becomes miserable when your lips turn dry, red, and tender to touch. Often the lip skin gets peeled.
Chapped lip can be due to lack of moisture in and around the lips. Our face is the most exposed area of the body, and the delicate lip is vulnerable to change in temperature, cold and winds.
What Are The Causes Of Chapped Lips?
Many people suffer from chapped lip during winter. However, the symptoms and severity may vary from one person to another. In some cases, the condition may be minor, removing the cause and treating it with simple home remedies may be useful to cure their trouble, while few others might have to consult their physician when the lip bleeds or gets infected.
Let us know what the reasons for chapped lips are:
Dry weather being the most important reason for your lips to become chapped, there are several other reasons that can cause chapped lips. Extreme winter weather or extreme dryness in summer season, continuous habit of lip biting and lip licking, dehydration as it occurs after acute gastroenteritis can cause chapped lips.
Certain deficiency of vitamins, B vitamin deficiency especially riboflavin deficiency are leading causes for chapped lips. Sometimes ill fitting dentures, certain drugs, and allergies can be a cause for chapped lips. And of course, lip sticks that ladies often use, the chemicals present in them may cause allergy in some women.
Home Remedies For Dry Chapped Lips
- Drink adequate amount of water to keep yourself well hydrated.
- During winter or even before the winter sets in, start applying coconut oil on your lips. Coconut oil is the natural moisturizer; it keeps your lips healthy during the dry windy winter weather.
- As one of the causes for dry and cracked lips is vitamin deficiency, try to correct it by eating foods rich in vitamins and vegetables rich in vitamin B complex. You can take supplemental vitamins after consulting your doctor.
- Do not lick your lips, especially when they are chapped, it will cause further aggravation.
- Apply honey and Vaseline on the chapped lips. Honey is considered to be excellent skin rejuvenator. It also possesses anti bacterial properties. Vaseline keeps your lips well lubricated. First apply honey on your lips, and then apply a thin layer of Vaseline. Let it dry for five minutes. Now take a moist cloth dipped in water and rub your lips. Do this every day for 3 to 5 days, until you find relief.
- Use lipsticks that are not allergic. Much better is they should be creamy and not dry.
- Apply aloe vera gel on your lips daily until chapped lips heal. Aloe vera gel acts as a natural moisturizer and as an antibacterial.
- You can rub a slice of cucumber on your lips; it is the safest home remedy to treat chapped lips.