Chafing of skin in any part of the body is a result of continuous rubbing of skin against skin. Chafing between legs, chafing in inner thighs, chafing under the breast, between the love handles, or in the armpits are some common examples.
Friction or rubbing of skin against skin or between tight fabric and skin, can lead to irritation and skin soreness. Severely chaffed skin can also develop blisters.
Causes Of Chafing Between Legs
Chafing between legs and in inner thigh region is very common. Obesity is one of the main reasons for chaffing between legs and thighs.
Besides obesity, persons staying in warm places and those who sweat more are prone to chafing between legs and inner thighs. Inner thigh chafing is also common among athletes due to repeated friction or rubbing of their thighs.
Sometime, chafed skin may not develop from rubbing of two body parts, but it can result from tight fitting garments rubbing against the thigh. Tight fitting underwear can cause chafing in the groin and inner thigh area. Chafing of inner thigh is more common in women than in men.
How To Prevent Chafing On Inner Thighs?
Although chafing between inner thighs is not a serious ailment, it is important not to neglect the condition. If remedial measures are not sought, the skin condition can worsen at times leading to oozing of fluid from chafed skin.
Though it is always best to prevent inner thigh chaffing in first place, avoiding certain activities that can lead to inner thigh chafing is not always possible. In such circumstances there are several remedial measures and home remedies that can be effective. However before knowing the natural remedies let us know how to prevent chafing in inner thigh.
Reduce your weight if obesity is the cause. Wear loose fitting clothes, especially the shorts or skirts. Wear clothes that are made up of material that allows the skin to breathe and prevent excess of perspiration. Cotton clothes are considered best for this purpose.
Stay hydrated by drinking at least 8 to 9 glasses of water every day. Rub enough amount of baby powder in the inner thigh every day after you take bath. Use a moisturizer when the season is dry. It will reduce the friction between the thighs and prevent chafing in inner thighs.
Home Remedies For Chafing Skin
Unfortunately if chafing of inner thigh and between the legs has already occurred, you can treat it with natural remedies.
- Aloe Vera gel is known to be a soothing agent. Its soothing effect together with its anti inflammatory properties helps to heal skin chafing naturally and quickly.
- Wear loose fitting clothes. Cotton clothes are always better in summer season as it allows air circulation and prevent excessive perspiration.
- Do not wear tight fitting underwear. Especially a synthetic material undergarment. It will aggravate the already chaffed skin between legs.
- It is necessary to lose weight if you are obese. Swimming is the best exercise when there is inner thigh chafing as it poses less risk of friction as compared to running and walking exercise.
- Clean the area of chaffed skin between the legs with antiseptic solution. Apply an ointment which contains Zinc oxide. It helps to heal the chafed skin as well as prevent infection.
- Reduce or abstain from activities that cause chaffing between legs for few days.