As we age, our skin loses its elasticity and sags. Lines appear on the chest. Breakdown of collagen and elastic fibre occurs, leading to wrinkling of the skin or chest.
A fibrous protein called collagen gives firmness to the skin. Another protein called elastin gives elasticity to the skin. The fat layer beneath the skin gives it contour. Softness and suppleness of the skin is given by the oil secreting glands. As we age, the production of these substances is reduced. Due to lack of protein, skin loses its tone and sags, hence creases are formed.
Over exposure to the sun is one of the most common causes of the wrinkles on the chest. The ultra-violet rays of the sun ages the skin rapidly. Poor eating habits, smoking, repeated body movements can cause wrinkles on the chest. Sleeping continuously on chest or on the side can lead to wrinkles on the chest.
Simple measures can be taken to prevent and treat wrinkles on the chest
Prevention and Treatment:
- Sleep on your back. Initially you may find it difficult but slowly get rid of your habit of sleeping on your chest or on side.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin well hydrated. Well hydrated skin looks plump and temporarily removes the wrinkles.
- Avoid over exposure to the sun. Apply sunscreen with SPF 25 to 30 before going in the sun. Sunscreen protects you from ultraviolet rays. Some of them contain vitamin E, which helps to regenerate collagen.
- Apply moisturizer locally which will help to remove wrinkles temporarily.
- Anti-wrinkle cream can be applied after consulting your doctor.
- Chemical peel helps to remove dead cells and stimulates the growth of new skin cells. Talk to your doctor before going for chemical peeling.
- Extra virgin olive oil slows down the aging process. It also heals the skin tissues. Apply extra virgin olive oil to the chest before going to bed.
- Live stress free life.
- Rub the mixture of lemon juice and honey on the chest, keep it for one hour then wash it with warm water. This will keep your skin on the chest soft and supple.
- Laser treatment also helps to remove dead layer of the skin and promotes the growth of new healthy cells. It stimulates the collagen growth in the dermis.
- Limit the intake of sweets in the diet. Glucose forms certain molecules after connecting with proteins in the blood stream which cause deterioration of the elastin fibres resulting in to sagging.
- Antioxidants prevent damage to the skin due to free radicals. They also reverse the damage done previously. Diet rich in various fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and legumes retards the aging process.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help in reducing the wrinkles. They are found in abundance in salmon, tuna, walnuts, sunflower oils and flaxseed.
- Trace minerals play vital role in skin health. Copper is very important for the formation of collagen and elastin. It is found in legumes, beans, nuts and shellfish. Selenium which is found in salmon, Brazil nuts, oats, brown rice and whole wheat, helps to restore the elasticity of the skin.