Acne is a skin condition that occurs when hair follicles become clogged with sebum and dead skin cells. The most common areas where acne can occur are face, arms, shoulders and back. It is very distressing to have persistent acne, particularly at young age. Early treatment and preventive measures will help you to get rid of acne.
Causes of Acne on Arms
Our arms also have hair follicles. When these are clogged due to sebum and dead skin cells, acne will occur on the arms. Overproduction of sebum, irregular shedding of dead skin cells and growth of bacteria in clogged pores can cause acne.
The contributing factors for developing acne on arms are as follows :-
- Tight clothing – It prevents shedding off of dead skin cells and sebum from the skin resulting in clogging of pores.
- Friction – Tight clothing may cause continuous friction on the skin, hence leading to irritation and acne. Excessive rubbing of the skin while cleaning also can irritate it and cause acne.
- Sweating irritates the skin and if it is not washed off immediately can cause acne. If you already have acne on arms then sweat will aggravate the condition further.
- Allergy to soaps and shampoo can lead to acne.
- The male hormone androgen makes the sebaceous glands larger, these glands produce more sebum and clogs the pores.
- Fluctuation in estrogen level during menstrual cycle can also cause acne in females.
- Diet rich in refined carbohydrates and sugar is also responsible for acne.
Treatment and Prevention
- Take shower after exercise to clean the sweat and grit.
- Gently pat dry the affected area.
- Do not rub the affected area excessively.
- Use mild soap and warm water to clean the area.
- Avoid chemicals or things to which you may be allergic.
- Avoid picking or squeezing your pimple as this may lead to secondary infection and scarring.
- Wear loose clothing.
- Include lot of fresh vegetable and fruits in your diet.
- Apply astringent lotion to the areas which appear oily.
- Apply mixture of honey and cinnamon powder on acne every night and wash it off in the morning with warm water.Repeat the process for fifteen days.
- Apply tomato pulp on acne, keep it for 30 minutes and then wash off. This will help to reduce the acne.
- Mix nutmeg powder with raw milk (milk that is not boiled). Apply the paste on arms and keep for two hours. Wash it with water.
- Grind the orange peel with water and apply on acne. Wash after twenty minutes.
- Mix rose water and sandalwood powder and apply on acne. It is soothing for the skin.
- Azadirachta indica is very useful in the treatment of acne.
- Consult your doctor before trying any self-medication.