The two lungs are considered to be the most vital organs in our body. The right and left lung inside the rib cage are spongy organs and their main function is exchange of gases. The oxygen that you breathe in and carbon dioxide that you breathe out are exchanged in the lungs. Primary lung cancer is one of the leading causes of death in USA among men and women. It is five times more common in men than women. Lung cancer usually occurs in people above the age of 40, its rate increases with age.
Cigarette smoking is the single largest cause for lung cancer; almost 80% patients suffering from lung cancer are smokers, the risk increases with the number of cigarettes smoked and duration of smoking. For example, rate of death in a person smoking 2 to 3 packets of cigarette in a day is 50 times high than a person who is not smoking.
Unfortunately, lung cancer is very difficult to detect in its preliminary stage as it rarely causes any sign and symptoms, by the time patient realizes its symptoms it is too late and the disease is in its advanced stage. Chest pains, chronic cough, blood in sputum, weight loss, together with fever are some of its symptoms.
How To Prevent Lung Cancer Naturally?
Though the definite cause for lung cancer is still not known, researchers believe that smoking and environmental pollution is the commonest triggering factor. The good news is that, to an extent lung cancer can be prevented if you reduce the exposure to these triggering factors.
- In the first place do not smoke. If you have not toughed a cigarette, don’t ever do it. Even tell your children the dangers of smoking as most often people start smoking in the early adulthood.
- If you are a smoker stop smoking soon after reading this article. Quitting cigarette smoking will definitely reduce the risk of lung cancer even if you have smoked for many years. After 10 years of quitting, the chances will reduce to that of a non smoker.
- Also avoid second hand smoke. If someone near you is smoking the inhaled smoke also contains carcinogens that can affect your health. You should avoid such areas where people often smoke.
- If you are working in industry where you have to deal with certain industrial carcinogens for e.g. petrol and diesel, beryllium, arsenic, vinyl chloride, certain industrial ethers etc., take proper preventive measures such as wearing gas mask and other protective apparatus that are provided by your employer.
- Eat healthy fruits and vegetables as they contain antioxidants and other cancer fighting agents in its natural form.
- Regular exercise is as essential as eating fruits and vegetables if you want over all well being. A brisk walk for 30 minutes or swimming will help you to increase your total lung capacity.
What Foods Help In Preventing Lung Cancer?
Researchers have strongly suggested certain foods that can reduce the risk of lung cancer.
Here are certain foods that are beneficial in preventing lung cancer which every one of us, whether smokers or non –smokers should eat.
- Apples: apple reduces the risk of lung cancer by 50%, due to presence of flavanoids quercetin.
- Turmeric: use of turmeric has shown to reduce the incidence of lung cancer greatly.
- Pomegranate and its fresh juice: the anthocyanins present in pomegranate are responsible for preventing lung cancer.
- Celery: it is observed that people who eat celery are at lesser risk of suffering from lung cancer than those who eat rarely.
- Broccoli, cauliflower are good food to prevent lung cancer.
- Onion also contains quercetin and naringin both flavanoids that protect your body from harmful free radicals.