Stuffy nose or nasal congestion is an annoying symptom for a person suffering from cold and influenza. Congestion in nose is a common nasal problem for all of us. The irritating condition may not allow you to do your normal routine tasks. The condition can affect anyone, from infant to an adult. An infant with nasal congestion may find difficulty in breast feeding. It may also affect his ears and lead to ear ache. Children and toddlers who suffer from nasal congestion are more irritated and fussy. It can interfere in their hearing ability.
What are the Causes of Stuffy Nose?
Actually many people believe nasal blockage is caused due to thick mucus present in nasal passage, however it is not so, your nose becomes stuffy and congested due to inflammation of the mucus membrane as a result of swollen blood vessels inside your nose. Bacteria responsible for sinusitis and viruses responsible for cold and flu are mainly responsible for stuffy nose. The other reasons for swelling of nasal lining are allergies and hay fever, frequent use of nasal spray, polyps in nose. Many pregnant women complain of nasal blockage. This is a common physiological process as there is increase amount of blood flow in the vessels. Certain medications are also responsible for swelling of nasal lining and dilatation of the nasal vessels. Deviated nasal septum (a cartilage that divides the nostrils) is also responsible for nasal congestion.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Nasal Congestion
Usually stuffy nose is a self limiting symptom and it heals within one week.
- Since olden days mustard oil is used to relieve distress and annoyance caused due to stuffy nose. Put one or two drops of mustard oil in the nostrils. It will clear the blockage and you will feel easy while breathing.
- Drink lots of water. It helps to recover faster.
- Onion is another age old home remedy for treating nasal congestion. Smelling an onion can give relief in nasal blockage. You can also extract one tsp of onion juice and mix it with honey. The astringent quality of onion and antibacterial, anti inflammatory properties of honey helps to relieve the distressing stuffy nose symptom.
- Inhaling steam helps to make the mucus loose. You can add few drops of eucalyptus oil in the water and inhale the steam.
- When there were no remedies available in olden days, people used to drink hot soups and broths to get relief from stuffy nose. This age old grandma’s remedy is still of great use in treating congested nose. Tomato soup and vegetable soups or chicken broth are favored natural treatment for healing the condition.
- If you want to use nasal drops, do not use medicated drops, instead prepare salt water solution at home by mixing a pinch of salt in boiled and cooled water. Let the salt dissolve completely. Now use this water as nasal drops and put few drops in blocked nostril two to three times in a day. It is an instant and effective home remedy for clearing your nasal passage. It can be used safely in children and adults.