Being pregnant is one of the happiest moments in a woman’s life. However, motherhood increases her responsibility as she has to take care of herself as well as the baby inside her womb. Cough and cold can affect anyone at any given time.
Cough in pregnancy is not uncommon. But it can be annoying problem as coughing too much may make her feel tired and fatigued. Besides, persistent cough may disturb her sleep. A sound sleep is an essential requirement for a healthy pregnancy.
Moreover a pregnant woman cannot take all types of cough medicines as some of them contain ingredients that are contraindicated during pregnancy.
What Are The Causes Of Cough In Pregnancy?
During pregnancy the immunity level of a woman is slightly low. This makes her vulnerable for viral infections such as cough and cold. Besides, in some woman the increasing size of uterus may lead to reflux esophagitis. This may produce irritation in the throat leading to a cough reflex. It happens especially during sleep when she lies down. The gastric content moves upwards into the throat. The problem often increases if she has reflux esophagitis, prior being pregnant.
Smoking during pregnancy can lead to cough and other lung diseases. If there is associated fever, it may be due to bacterial infection in lungs or in throat. Many times eating too spicy food can contribute to coughing. However it is temporary and she may find relief after few hours.
There are various other causes such as tuberculosis of lungs, where there is persistent dry cough with low grade fever. If there is fever associated with cough, a pregnant woman should always consult her doctor before taking any medicines.
Natural Cough Remedies For Pregnant Women
Cough is a common symptom of many ailments, and it can occur in a pregnant woman as well as in any other individual.
Since traditional cough suppressants and expectorants which contain substances known to harm the baby are not preferred, certain home remedies are the best options.
- Increase the intake of fluids if you are having cough. It can be in any form water, juice, or warm soups etc. This helps the thick mucus to become thin and expelled out easily.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water. Sip the water slowly. It is the time tested home remedy to relieve cough during pregnancy. Lemon contains vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to boost the immunity and eradicate the viruses.
- Salt water gargles are beneficial when there is irritation in throat resulting from allergic sore throat. Gargle at least three times in a day to soothe the throat and reduce cough.
- Another safe and sure home remedy for is ginger juice and honey. Add half teaspoon of ginger juice and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water. Drink it two times in a day.
- A pregnant woman should take plenty of rest when she is coughing. This will allow the body to fight the viruses and germs more effectively.
- Avoid substances that causes allergic cough.
- Stop smoking, it is not only harmful for the pregnant woman, but smoking can also harm the fetus inside her.
- Use of humidifier, steam inhalation, helps to relieve cough in pregnant woman.