Since olden days, tongue is considered to be an important organ for evaluating the overall health of a person. In fact it reflects the state of your whole digestive system. You just need to stick out your tongue in front of a mirror before doing various battery of test advised by your doctor. Examination of tongue is considered to be a clinical significance by all medical professionals.
Often you may observe different types of coating on the tongue. Some are just normal and harmless while others may indicate that something is wrong somewhere in your body.
It is common to have white coating on tongue when you get up in the morning. It may be a thin or thick layer. In most cases, white coating on tongue after getting up in morning is normal. It is due to a thin film of bacteria and debris which gets deposited on the surface of the tongue when you are sleeping. The color of this bacterium is white. However white coating on tongue sometimes may also indicate potentially serious condition. Let us know the causes of white stuff on tongue in the morning and how to get rid of it.
What Are The Causes Of White Tongue In The Morning?
There are various reasons attributed for white coated tongue. Some of them are normal having no significant heath issue while at times the cause can be serious.
On the surface of tongue, there are innumerable tiny bumps which give pink color to the healthy tongue. They are called papilla. Papilla has rich supply of nerve endings which is helpful in detecting the taste. It is also helpful to differentiate between hot and cold food. The left over tiny food debris together with bacteria present in mouth settle on the tongue and form a white film which makes the tongue look white.
The next important cause for white tongue in morning is when you breathe through your mouth instead through the nose while sleeping. This usually happens when you are suffering from cold and your nose gets blocked. It may also occur as a result of deviated nasal septum or nasal polyps which is responsible for blocked nose. Breathing through mouth causes dryness of oral region, which is responsible for white tongue in morning.
Dehydration, low intake of water and fluids, smoking and certain medicines can also cause dryness in mouth and white coating on the tongue.
Oral thrush is a medical condition where the tongue is coated white. It is a type of yeast infection.
Leukoplakia a precancerous condition of mouth may exhibit white coated tongue. Persons who chew tobacco and smoke cigarette are prone to this condition.
Natural Remedies For White Coating On Tongue
Here are some of the tips that can help to get rid of whit coated tongue.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth two times in a day. Clean your tongue with a tongue cleaner every morning after brushing your teeth.
- Drinking green tea. It is known to eliminate the bacteria in the mouth and aids in maintaining oral hygiene.
- Do not use alcohol based mouth wash. It dries up the mouth area and facilitates the bacteria and debris to settle on the tongue.
- Instead of using mouth wash, regular salt water gargling is also beneficial in relieving white coating on tongue.
- Quit smoking if your tongue is white coated.
- Drink enough water and fluids and keep yourself well hydrated.
- For thrush, yogurt is the best home remedy ever known. Yogurt contains acidophilus bacteria which are good bacteria. They help to maintain healthy bacterial flora in the mouth. Healthy bacteria kill the thrush causing yeast germs.