Gum diseases are not new to humans; you may have seen your grandparents and parents suffering from the same trouble as what you are experiencing it now. Swollen gum pain is one of the commonest symptoms of gum disease. Poor dental as well as oral hygiene, changing life style and bad dietary habits seem to play an important role in various gum ailments. The pain arising from swollen gums is sharp, shooting, and throbbing; eating is a problem. At times swollen gum pain can make you feel panicky and restless. It’s difficult to concentrate on your work, it drains your energy.
The pain arising from swollen gums can be from one particular area of the gum surrounding the tooth or it can involve the entire jaw line. Since olden days, people knew natural home remedies to treat the painful gums. Home remedies might be handy and effective for a short time in relieving the pain and swelling. However, a dental checkup is necessary to find the root cause behind your suffering.
What Causes Swollen Gums Around Tooth?
Some of the common causes of swollen gums are as below:
Gingivitis: poor dental hygiene is the main factor responsible for it. In gingivitis the gums abnormally bulge out. When food remains stuck in between the teeth and under the gums, it becomes a good environment for the bacteria to multiply. A thin layer of food and bacteria together form plaque and tartar. Gradually the bacteria produce toxins that ultimately decay the tooth and cause painful gum swelling.
Unhealthy dietary habits: eating refined foods has become the way of living in recent times. Most of the refined foods contain high amount of sugar. Too much of sugar in your diet can become a leading cause for dental carries and dental problems.
Vitamin C deficiency: lack of vitamin C in your body is responsible for a disease known as scurvy. In this disease, the gums swell and bleed. Deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals such as lack of calcium, vitamin D, etc. can affect your tooth and gums leading to its decay and swelling.
Impacted wisdom tooth: There are two pairs of wisdom tooth on either side of the jaw. Impaction can be due to too less space for the tooth to come out. The tooth lying horizontally is another reason for painful gum swelling. Extraction of the wisdom tooth is the only solution in such cases.
Certain other health conditions: bad fitting dentures, sensitivity to certain tooth paste and mouth washes, malnourishment, hormonal changes in pregnancy, certain medicines and drugs, smoking, etc.
Home Remedies For Swollen Painful Gums
- Good oral and dental hygiene is of prime importance in treating and preventing painful swollen gums. Brush your teeth daily at least two times in a day. See that your toothbrush has soft bristles.
- Avoid foods made from refined sugar such as chocolates, cakes and pastries, and other sugar rich foods.
- Massage your teeth with salt and a drop or two of lemon juice. It is the best home remedy for swollen painful gums.
- Clove oil: it is time tested home remedy for any type of dental and gum disease. This is because the oil has antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties. You can directly apply clove oil on the painful tooth with the help of cotton swab. For relieving gum pain, put few drops of clove oil in a glass of water and rinse your mouth. Do not swallow the fluid.
- Swish a natural mouthwash made by mixing Myrrh liquid extract in a glass of water twice in a day. It will turn your fiery red gum to healthy pink color in few days, as well as relieve the pain.