Lie Bumps on the tongue are often painful and tend to get aggravated on consuming hot food. Lie bumps for long have been associated with a myth which says that lie bumps occur when any one speaks lies. However, in reality there are a wide range of factors that are associated with the development of lie bumps on the tongue. Though a self limiting disorder, lie bumps can often be associated with severe pain and interfere with the ability of an individual to eat or swallow.
Fortunately there are some remedies that have been found to be effective in the management of this painful condition.
Lie Bumps on tongue are often harmless and characterized by dark red or white spots on the tongue which is often tender. The condition is not contagious and is associated with certain amount of discomfort. In general lie bumps tend to heal within a few days even without any form of treatment.
Causes Lie Bumps On Tongue
Though researchers have not been able to determine the exact cause which is associated with the formation of lie bumps on the tongue, several causative factors have been identified. These factors include,
- Consumption of extremely hot and spicy foods.
- Gastro-intestinal problems like reflux disease, heart burns and indigestion are also commonly associated with the condition.
- Food allergies are also considered to be causative factors for the formation of lie bumps on the tongue.
- Fungal and bacterial infections in the oral cavity can result in formation of lie bumps.
- Vitamin deficiency, especially the deficiency of vitamin B12 is considered to be closely linked with the development of these painful sores on the tongue.
- Stress is considered to be another contributing factor.
- Constipation or irregular bowel movements are also linked with the development of the condition.
- Injury to the tongue including accidental biting of the tongue, which is frequently associated with lie bumps.
Home Remedies For Bumps On Tongue
Though the condition is often self limiting and tends to resolve within a few days, there are certain home remedies and natural treatment options that can help in efficient management of the condition,
- Avoiding spicy, oily, salty and sour food is considered to be primary requirement. Limiting intake of these kinds of foods can help reduce the pain associated with the lie bumps.
- Emotional stress is also associated with frequent occurrence of lie bumps on the tongue. Meditation techniques and yoga postures are found to alleviate mental stress and considered beneficial in the management of lie bumps.
- Vitamin B supplements are considered to help in alleviating the pain and hasten the process of healing.
- Consuming fresh mint leaves have also been found to be beneficial. Mint has anti-microbial properties which help in reducing the inflammation associated with the formation of lie bumps and provides sustained relief.
- If lie bumps are associated with gastro-intestinal problems, it is recommended to consume a glass of warm milk with a teaspoon of turmeric added to it. Turmeric has anti bacterial properties while milk helps in treating indigestion effectively.