Often it is said that your oral health provides a clue for your well being. Gums being the most important component of oral cavity should always remain healthy. Infected gums not only become an annoyance while eating, but it can also trigger several serious health problems. Human gums are fibrous tissue, mostly pink in color. They form the base of the teeth and support them.
Gingivitis is one of the commonest gum infections. Gingivitis when neglected can lead to more serious gum disease known as periodontitis. Gum infection can occur when you do not take good oral health care such as brushing your teeth, flossing etc.
Infected gums can also result due to large tooth cavity. Untreated cavity can give rise to tooth abscess. Depending on its severity, gum disease can be easily reversed and brought under control. Beside bacteria, gum infection can occur due to tobacco chewing, cigarette smoking, and chronic alcoholism.
Deficiency of vitamins and other nutrients can also predispose gum infection. People who are having low immune level such as a cancer patient, or person suffering from AIDS are also vulnerable for gum infection.
Symptoms Of Gum Infection Disease
When a person has infected gums, he is most likely to suffer from following symptoms:
- Inflammation and redness of gums.
- Pain in gums. The pain may be throbbing, pulsating and distressing making the patient restless.
- Inflammation along the gum line.
- Toothache while chewing food.
- Swelling of gums.
- Bleeding from gums.
- Bad odor from mouth.
- Gums become spongy.
When any of these symptoms are present in a person, he should always make it a point to visit his dentist.
Natural Home Remedies For Infected Gums
Infected gum treatment depends on how severe the infection is. Minor to moderate gum infection may require few medications to reduce pain and swelling. If the infection is not controlled, the dentist may prescribe antibiotics.
Beside the conventional treatment, there are several time tested home remedies for infected gums.
- Salt water gargling is one of the simplest and economically viable home remedy for infected gums. Rinse your mouth with salt water at least two to three times in a day when there is gum infection. Salt water helps to flush out the debris and kill the bacteria.
- Aloe vera juice is another time tested remedy for swollen and infected gums. Mix two teaspoons of Aloe vera juice in a glass of lukewarm water. Rinse your oral cavity with this water.
- The two effective home remedies are cinnamon oil and clove oil for treating infected gums. Apply any one of them on the gums to get relief from pain. If the oil is not available, you can just keep to cloves in the mouth near the affected gum.
- Garlic being a natural pain reliever, is a great remedy for treating infected gum. Crush one garlic clove and add a pinch of rock salt to it. Now apply it on the infected gum. Applying it regularly for few days will bring gum swelling and pain under control.
- Meanwhile drink a glassful of lemon juice once or twice in a day when there is gum infection. Lemon which contains vitamin C is known to protect gums since ages.
- A paste made from bishop’s seed powder and mustard oil is an effective home remedy for treating pain and swelling of infected gums.
The home remedies that are listed above are time tested and effective in treating gum infection and its symptoms. However, when the infection is deep seated and severe you have to consult your dentist at the earliest.