Multiple sclerosis is a disease of central nervous system. It is a chronic, slow, progressive and unpredictable debilitating disease, in which the covering sheath called myelin sheath around the nerve fibers is destroyed. Due to destruction of protective sheath around the nerve fibers, to and fro messages from brain, spinal cord are either blocked, slowed or misrepresented.
The exact cause behind the damage is still not clear, but malfunctioning of immune system is considered to be behind this debilitating condition. Thus the disease is classified under autoimmune disease. The symptoms may manifest according to nerve affected as well as the amount of nerve damage.
The disease is difficult to diagnose in its early stage as there are multiple relapses in between. There is no permanent cure for patients suffering from multiple sclerosis; however treatment is aimed to reduce the severity of symptoms and its course.
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
The symptoms and sign of multiple sclerosis may depend on which part of the nerve fiber is affected and the extent of damage it has caused. The symptoms may last for few days, weeks or few months before they go in remission stage. Below are given some of the common symptoms that are found in a person suffering from multiple sclerosis.
- Weakness in arms and legs that may cause paralysis.
- Blurred vision, loss of vision, painful eye, optic neuritis, double vision.
- Altered sensation, especially in lower limbs. It is considered to be one of the earliest sign of multiple sclerosis.
- Involuntary urination due to bladder malfunction.
- Loss of control over defecation due to destruction of nerve fibers which send the message to the rectum.
- Patient is unable to walk properly. He loses his balance while standing or walking.
- Tremor, slurred speech, dizziness are also experienced by the patient suffering from multiple sclerosis.
- Loss of memory, problem in concentration and coordination.
- Depression, sudden change in mood. Patient feels hopeless.
- Different types of pain such as burning pain, pulsating pain etc.
- Person may experience erectile dysfunction, loss of libido.
It is not necessary that the patient may experience all the above symptoms at the same time. He may experience few or many of the above symptoms at a particular point of time.
Treatment And Natural Remedies For Multiple Sclerosis
There is no definite cure for multiple sclerosis. However there are several treatment option aimed at improving the quality life of an individual.
- The management of MS has been substantially advanced by the availability of immune modifying agents called beta interferon 1a and 1b. Experts believe this therapy may reduce future disability and improve the quality of life.
- Steroids can curtail the severity of attacks.
- Patient may need antidepressants if he is depressed and often exhibits mood swings.
- Speech therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy may help the patient to improve his day to day life quality.
- Foods that are found beneficial for patients suffering from multiple sclerosis include: homemade cottage cheese, fresh butter, raw honey (unfiltered honey), berries (strawberry, blue berry, raspberry etc), cabbage, cucumber, radish, tomato and liquid whey are beneficial.
- Rest and massage are beneficial for patient suffering from MS. Patient should reduce exertion as simple hard work may also make him feel exhausted.
- Deep breathing exercise and meditation are beneficial for patients suffering from multiple sclerosis.
- Fish oil is considered to be beneficial as it has natural anti inflammatory properties.