Stress has become an integral part of our daily life. It depends on how you deal with it. Since few decades, you may be hearing more about work related stress. Nowadays many households depend on dual income either for their survival or to have a taste of luxury. Whatever may be the reason; they involve themselves more in work and spend less time on leisurely activities.
To a certain level stress is good as it keeps you energized and encourages in tackling the situation, whether bad or good. But too much of stress at work can be damaging at all levels, physical as well as mental.
Also job stress can deteriorate your health. Work stress can be a contributing factor for illnesses which include depression, gastric problems, heart disease, exhaustion, low immune level etc. Even though stress at work may be disheartening there are ways to cope with it. There is always light at the other end of tunnel.
What Are The Main Causes Of Stress At Work?
It will be simple to know how to manage stress at work if you understand the causes that trigger job stress.
- When workload is in excess and the deadline to meet is not realistic. This builds up pressure at mental as well as physical level to finish the deadline.
- When the work environment is not conducive, for e.g. there is lot of noise, inadequate light, small work place, too hot environment or the equipments are not functioning.
- Bullying and harassment from colleagues as well as superiors.
- When there is no control over the work activities.
- If you are asked to do a job that you are not efficient or trained to do.
- Concern of pay package, dull carrier opportunities, insecurity of job etc.
These are few important causes among many which are responsible for stress at work.
Dealing And Coping With Stress At The Workplace
Let us find out simple ways to deal with stress at work:
- If you are always stressed at work, find out what is the triggering situation responsible for it. Is it something to do with the work quality, or the interpersonal relationship with colleagues and superiors? Jot it down in a notebook for a week. After which sit down and look at the ways how to resolve it.
- Prepare a list that needs to be done first on priority basis when you begin your work. This will save lot of time and make your work easier.
- Reduce your work stress by taking break in between the work.
- Exercise daily as it helps to lift up your mood, keeps you energized and relaxes mind and body. Walking for 30 minutes or swimming is good for metal as well as physical health.
- Eat moderately, not too much or too little as both are detrimental for your emotional as well as physical well being.
- Avoid smoking and if at all drink alcohol in moderate amount. Both can lead to anxiety and depression at a higher level even though for a temporary period they may feel relieving it.
- Sleep for 7 to 8 hours. Insufficient sleep may trigger many problems at work place and these all can lead to unnecessary stress.
- Avoid thinking negatively and act positively. Once you think so half your stress is relieved.
- Avoid conflicts with peers and subordinates.