Human brain is the most complex organ, and there are lots of mysteries still unrevealed even after years of research. Researchers have spent decades to find the real cause for common brain disorders including depression, anxiety, ADHD, schizophrenia and so on. According to a postulated theory and many clinical case studies and practical observation, it has been identified that there is a chemical imbalance in an individual who is suffering from symptoms related to certain psychiatric and brain disorders. Though the subject still remains in a controversial domain, psychiatrists and clinicians propose an imbalance in brain chemistry as one of the reason for mood disorders, substance abuse, learning problem.
Most of us know that the message in the brain is transmitted through the neurotransmitters. Between two brain cells there is a junction known as synapse. Chemicals in brain facilitate easy signal transmission between two brain cells. Depletion or excess amount of brain chemicals affects the neurotransmitters to function as a stimulant or inhibitors in the nervous system.
Some of the chemical imbalances that may be responsible for depression, anxiety and other psychiatric disorders include.
- Low level of serotonin, dopamine, GABA, Acetylcholine. They all are neurotransmitters.
- High level of homocystiene, a neurotoxic chemical.
- Low level of certain minerals such as potassium, zinc, and magnesium and manganese.
- Deficiency of vitamins, especially vitamin B6, B12, folic acid, and C vitamin.
- Excess of stress hormones such as cortisol.
Causes of Chemical Imbalance in Body
Though the exact reason for brain disorder is still elusive, certain factors are widely believed as responsible cause for brain chemical changes and imbalance.
- Genetics: clinicians have observed that people are at a greater risk of developing psychiatric illnesses when any close family member is suffering from certain psychiatric illness.
- Developmental defect in the brain is also perceived as one of the reason for chemical imbalance in the brain.
- Our thought and actions have been associated with changes in brain chemistry.
Symptoms of Chemical Imbalance in Brain
- Depression: a person suffering from chemical imbalance in the brain may feel very emotional. He may feel depressed and sad. This is the result of low level of chemical serotonin, a hormone which gives a feeling of well being or other hormones such as GABA and dopamine.
- Anxiety: it is also a symptom of imbalanced brain chemistry. During an anxious situation there is low level of serotonin and GABA, while there is increased level of stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol.
- Physical pain: person suffering from chemical imbalance often complains of pain in different part of the body.
- Insomnia: sleeplessness is one of the symptoms of chemical imbalance of the brain as the person constantly thinks and that keeps him awake.
- People having imbalance of chemical in their brain easily fall prey to alcohol, and other addictions.
- Lack of concentration: there is loss of concentration and the person is unable to recollect some of the past happenings.