Loss of libido in men is relatively less common compared to lack of libido in females. Loss of libido can result in sexual dysfunction which can result in stress in the married life. This article provides insight into the common causes and symptoms associated with loss of libido in men and also provide various treatment options.
Estimates suggest that loss of libido or interest in sex can affect about 15% of adult men when they are sexually active and as per estimates this is twice the percentage in women. It is a serious condition and can have considerable impact on the social and psychological performance of the individual.
What Causes Loss Of Libido In Men?
There are a wide range of factors that can result in loss of libido in men. These factors include physical, mental, psychological and even medical.
- Erectile dysfunction or impotence is characterized by failure to keep the penis erect during sexual intercourse. This condition is not always associated with loss of libido but can result in one. Erectile dysfunction increases with age.
- Studies have shown that performance anxiety and premature ejaculation can result in loss of libido. Inability to satisfy their partner is one of the primary reasons for loss of libido.
- Stress can often result in loss of libido. Job related stress or stress at home can equally contribute towards loss of libido and sexual desire in men.
- Certain medical conditions including hypertension, diabetes, thyroid disorders and cardiovascular ailments are associated with loss of libido. Depression also contributes to loss of libido in men.
- Certain medications, especially used for management of depression can result in loss of libido.
- Psychological factors including quality of the relationship, too much togetherness and wrong kind of respect for the partner can also contribute towards loss in libido.
Symptoms Of Low Libido In Men
In addition to the loss of sexual desire, men can also manifest a wide range of other symptoms in association with loss of libido. These symptoms include,
- Exhaustion, fatigue and general lack of energy.
- Trembling hands with constant tendency to worry about things is another important symptom.
- Insomnia or disturbed sleep patterns can also be associated with loss of libido in men.
- Anger, Irritability, panic and guilt are some of the negative emotions commonly associated with the condition.
- Other symptoms associated with loss of libido include headaches, muscle pain and increased heart rate.
Natural Remedies To Increase Libido In Men
Here are some dietary suggestion that can help in enhancing sexual performance and libido,
- Zinc is considered very beneficial in enhancing libido and sexual functions. Sea foods namely oysters are loaded with zinc and play a crucial role in helping in the management of loss of libido.
- Nuts including almonds, cashew, etc. are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids which play a crucial role in normal production of testosterone and enhance libido.
- Herbs like asparagus and basil help stimulate sexual desires in males.
- Fruits like banana and avocados are loaded with vitamins and minerals and play an important role in stimulating sexual desires.