Mono sore throat is a viral infection in which tonsils and surrounding tissue of throat are inflamed. Throat symptoms are associated with fever and malaise. Usually youngsters of age group fifteen to seventeen are more affected with mono infection. It is also called as infectious mononucleosis or kissing disease.
The disease is transmitted through saliva, so kissing the infected person can result in getting mono infection. It is not a serious condition. After getting infected one develops antibodies against mono infection. Such immune person is less likely to get the infection again.
Causes Of Mono Sore Throat
Infectious mononucleosis is caused by Epstein-Barr virus. The incubation period of the virus is about four to eight weeks. The virus causes serious illness in people who are suffering from AIDS and those who are on immunosuppressant drugs.
Infection caused due to cytomegalovirus is also similar to that of mono sore throat. Infectious mononucleosis is transmitted from one person to another through contact with patient’s saliva, by sharing the same glass or other utensils and when one is exposed to patient’s cough or sneeze.
Mono Sore Throat Symptoms
- Throat becomes red and inflamed.
- Tonsils will be swollen, red, inflamed and with whitish-yellow covering.
- Loss of appetite.
- Body ache and malaise.
- There will be swelling in spleen.
- Lymph nodes in the neck are swollen and painful.
- Infrequently one may have cough, pain in abdomen, rash on the skin and breathlessness.
Complications Of Mono Sore Throat
- Patient may become breathless due to swollen tonsils which may obstruct normal respiration.
- Enlarged spleen may rupture. One will need immediate medical attention to deal with this emergency.
- One may see enlarged liver with hepatitis and jaundice.
- Meningitis, encephalitis.
Usually throat symptoms are relieved in few weeks but swelling of spleen, malaise may take few weeks to 2-3 months to subside.
Diagnosis: Physician will take into consideration signs and symptoms of the patient. Signs such as swollen tonsils, enlarged spleen and swollen lymph nodes in neck will help to come to the conclusion.
Blood test may show increased WBC count and sometimes abnormal lymphocytes. Antibody test will confirm the diagnosis.
Home Remedies For Mono Sore Throat
- Patient is advised to take rest and ample fluids.
- If necessary medication is given for fever and to reduce inflammation and swelling of tonsils.
- Steroids are given if the symptoms are severe.
- Include plenty of fruit juice and soups in your diet. Fluids help patient to remain well hydrated and warm liquids will ease the throat symptoms.
- Add half teaspoon of turmeric powder to one cup of hot milk and drink it. This mixture has soothing effect on the throat.
- Gargle with warm salt water. Gargling should be done three times a day.
- Do not share patient’s food or utensils.
- Avoid kissing the patient.
- Have a diet rich in vitamin C which builds immunity against viral infection. Guava, oranges, lemons, strawberries and other citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C. Include vegetables like broccoli, kale spinach, bell peppers and tomatoes in your diet.
- Wear mask if you are in close contact with the patient.