Fungus diseases are very common. Fungi are vegetable parasites pathogenic to both humans as well as animals. Research has established that fungus disease occurs only in certain susceptible persons and on certain susceptible areas. Lip fungus is an opportunistic infection, usually occurring in individuals having low immunity. Adjuvant factors like trauma from ill fitting dentures, maceration, lack of fresh air and sunlight, previous infection and debility facilitate the growth of fungus.
Causes Of Fungal Infection On Lips
There are two fungi responsible for lip fungus; Candida albicans and monilia albicans.
Candida albicans is yeast like fungus, it grows under favorable conditions like moisture, warmth, presence of excess of carbohydrates, and of course when your body is weak.
Monilia albicans causes a condition called moniliasis. It affects the inner portion of the mouth and the lips. Monilia infection is common among bottle fed babies. The spread of lip moniliasis is through unclean milk bottles and teats. Proper sterilization of the bottles prevents the disease. ‘Thrush’ is a common name for monilial infection. You can see white patches similar to curd milk on the tongue, inner lips and oral cavity of an infected baby.
Symptoms Of Lip Fungal Infection
- Burning and tingling over the lips.
- There is generalized weakness. Person suffering from lip fungus is unable to eat properly, mild spicy or salty food is unbearable.
- There are white plaques on the corner of mouth and inside the lips.
- In thrush, white plaques can be easily scraped
- Person has irresistible desire to eat sugar and sweets.
- Pain in joints and muscles.
- Person is anemic. Lips, conjunctiva and face appear pale.
- He has craving for alcohol.
Lip fungus is infectious, similar to all other fungus disease. However, when your immune system is at its lowest the person is at a greater risk of contracting lip fungus, especially when he shares same utensils and dining articles used by the infected person. Intimate kissing can also pass on the infection from one person to another, if anyone of them is having lip fungus infection.
Home Remedies For Fungus On Lips
If your immune system is normal, lip fungus usually is very rare. However, certain disease such as diabetes or taking immune depressing drugs and corticosteroids, for a long time increases the risk of lip fungus.
- Avoid sugar in any form when you are having lip fungus. Sugar becomes food for the growth of the fungus. Therefore avoid chocolates, pastries and puddings, even juices high in sugar should be avoided.
- If you are suffering from diabetes, it is important to control it.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, processed foods, fermented foods that can aggravate the condition.
- The best home remedy is golden seal paste to treat lip fungus. The herb goldenseal contains a compound berberine, it is a known anti fungal home remedy for lip fungus.
- Applying castor oil on the inner lips and on the corner of the mouth is also valuable in treating lip fungus.
- Other home remedy that needs a mention is apple cider vinegar. Take one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and rinse your mouth twice in a day with this mixture.
- Another important thrush remedy is paste of lotus flower mixed in water or milk. Take it once in the early morning for two weeks for proper recovery from lip fungus.