Genital warts are the commonest types of sexually transmitted infections. No less than half of all sexually active people tend to be having genital warts at some point during their lives. Genital warts afflict the moist tissues around genital area. They are small, flesh colored masses that have a cauliflower like form. Occasionally the warts are too tiny to be noticeable.
The HPV or human papilloma virus causes warts. There are 40 diverse strains of the virus which particularly affect the genital area. HPV spreads via sexual contact. By and large, the immune system destroys the virus HPV and you won’t develop symptoms of the viral infection.
Genital warts in women develop on the vagina, vulva, area around the external genitalia and anus, or the cervix. In men, they develop on the scrotum, tip of the penis, or the anus. Genital warts may also develop in mouth if one has had oral sex with the infected person.
Having unprotected intercourse with multiple partners, having sex with one who has multiple partners and being sexually active at a very young age increase the risk of HPV infection.
Symptoms Of Genital Warts
Symptoms of genital warts include:
- Tiny, flesh colored bumps in the genital region.
- Cluster of warts close resembling a cauliflower.
- Itching in the genital area.
- Bleeding during sex.
Frequently, genital warts are too tiny that they cannot be seen with the naked eye. Sometimes, however, genital warts proliferate in to huge clusters.
How To Get Rid Of Genital Warts?
Your health care provider will recommend:
- Zyclara: boosts the defense and immune system’s ability to battle and treat genital warts.
- Podophyllin: is a plant based resin which kills genital wart tissue. Your doctor must apply this solution.
- Trichloroacetic acid: burns off the warts.
Never use over the counter wart removers for genital warts; always seek advice from your doctor.
Homeopathy is also greatly beneficial for the management of genital warts. Homeopathic drugs help manage the infection and its manifestation effectively. These medicines allay itching and discomfort associated with the warts and also perks up the immune mechanism to fight off the viral infection. Homeopathy will prevent the development of newer warts as well.
Alongside, it is very vital to take vitamin C supplements to boost the working of the immune system of the body to get rid of the viral infection quickly.
Occasionally, your health care provider may recommend surgical intervention to manage genital warts. Surgery may be required to get rid of big warts, those that fail to respond to medicines, or In case of pregnancy and the warts may affect the baby during delivery. Surgical options are:
- Cryotherapy: this includes freezing the genital warts with liquid nitrogen. Freezing causes a blister to develop around your wart. When the skin heals, the lesion gets sloughed off, permitting new skin to surface. Repeated cryotherapy treatments may be necessary.
- Electro cautery: makes use of an electrical current to burn off the genital warts.
- Surgical excision of the warts: special tools are used to excise the genital warts.
- Laser treatment: an intense beam of light is used to get rid of the warts. It is a rather expensive treatment and is reserved for wide-ranging and tough-to-treat genital warts.