Cystitis or bladder infection is associated with inflammation of the urinary bladder and is very common, especially among women. Epidemiological estimates have shown that the condition is relatively more prevalent among women compared to their male counterparts. As per estimates, the condition affects 20% of all women, some time in their lives. While the exact cause for higher frequency of bladder infections in women is not clearly understood, experts suggest that it has to do with the anatomical structure of the urinary system.
Experts suggest that bladder infections are more common among females due to the shorter urethra, allowing the bacteria to travel easily from the vagina to the bladder.
While there are several causes associated with bladder infection, the symptoms associated with the condition include pain and altered frequency of urination. Fortunately there are several simple home remedies and natural treatment options that can help in the management of this condition. However, if ignored, the condition may lead to serious health implications.
What Causes Bladder Infections?
While most bladder infections are linked with presence of bacteria like E coli or Chlamidiya, there are some predisposing factors that increase the risk of bladder infections,
- Females are more prone to bladder infections compared to males.
- Women using diaphragm for birth control are more likely to suffer from bladder infections compared to women using other forms of contraception.
- Pregnant women at higher risk of bladder infection due to the compression of the urethra.
- Elderly males suffering from enlarged prostate are also at a high risk of bladder infections.
- Immobile individuals using catheters for prolonged periods are also a higher risk of bladder infections.
Symptoms Of Bladder Infection
Some of the common symptoms associated with bladder infection include the following,
- Severe burning and itching sensation while passing urine.
- Increased urge to urinate and increased frequency of urination.
- Offensive odor of urine.
- Systemic symptoms of bladder infection include fever with chills, severe pain in the abdomen, hematuria (blood in urine), etc.
Home Remedies For Bladder Infection
Here are some simple home remedies and natural treatments that can be useful in the management of bladder infections,
- Drink lots of water. Water and fluids help flush the system and prevent bacterial growth caused due to stagnation.
- Cranberry juice is very useful in alleviating pain and symptoms of bladder infection. It is alkaline in nature and neutralizes the acidic contents of urine and thereby alleviates the symptoms and prevents growth of bacteria.
- Homeopathic drugs namely Berberis and Cantharis are considered potent against bladder infections. They have strong anti-microbial properties which help kill the bacteria and also prevent future attacks of the bladder infection.
Vaginal hygiene especially in women can be very beneficial in preventing bladder infections. Occasionally bladder infections may be associated with urinary stones and the treatment of renal calculi can help in the management of bladder infections.