The kidneys play a crucial function of purifying the blood and eliminate excess of fluids that have accumulated in the body. When the kidneys fail to perform their function, it may result in swelling of the feet and ankles. Edema can be attributed to a host of other factors also and the treatment of edema depends upon the underlying condition which is responsible for the swelling of the ankles and the feet.
Conventionally doctors prescribe diuretics to eliminate the excess of water accumulated in the body. However there are several other natural and home remedy for the treatment of swollen legs and feet.
Natural Cure For Swollen Feet And Ankles
The remedy for swollen feet often depends upon the cause that is responsible for the condition. Bilateral edema or swelling of the feet may be observed in cases of kidney disorders, congestive cardiac failure or pregnancy, while unilateral swelling of one foot may be observed in conditions like thrombophlebitis, varicose veins or injury or trauma to the ankle joint.
Here are some simple home based tips that can help in the management of swollen feet,
- Keep your lower limb elevated. Keeping the limb elevated above the level of the heart can help in natural flow of blood (in the direction of gravity). Use a pillow to keep the limb elevated when you lie down.
- Wear elastic stockings. Elastic stockings can exert pressure on the tissues of the legs and help in natural drainage of fluids from the lower extremities.
- Limit the intake of salt and water. Salt has a fluid retention property, which results in retention of water in the body, which in turn can result in edema in the lower extremities.
- Don’t keep your feet in one position for a long period of time. Natural movement of the limbs, results in contraction of the calf muscles which in turn can help in draining of fluids from the lower extremities.
Home Remedies For Swollen Feet And Legs
The home remedy treatment depends often upon the cause of swollen legs and feet. Here are some simple home remedies and natural treatment options that can be beneficial in management of swollen legs and feet,
- Local application of vinegar is considered to be beneficial in the management of swollen legs. Mix two equal parts of water and vinegar in a bowl of warm water. Now dip a towel in the mixture and apply it around the legs for about eight to ten minutes. Repeat this process about three to five times during the day. Alternate hot and cold compress can help reduce the edema and swelling.
- Drink a mixture of 1/2 tablespoon of molasses and one tablespoon of anise in about 250 ml of water. This composition can help reduce swelling of the feet, especially when the condition is attributed to a non chronic cause.
- Homeopathic drugs like Bryonia Alba is considered to be beneficial when the swelling is attributed to a trauma or injury of the ankle joint, while Arsenic Album (also referred to as the homeopathic trochar) is beneficial in management of swollen legs and feet attributed to chronic conditions.