Stretch marks are fine lines that appear on skin due to rapid stretching of the skin due to rapid growth or rapid weight gain. Stretch marks appear due to tearing of dermis. When skin is stretched beyond its maximum capacity collagen and elastic fibers break so that middle layer is visible through thinned skin surface. They may lighten over the period of time but may not disappear completely.
Men and women both are affected with stretch marks on breasts. Familial disposition plays important role in developing stretch marks.
- Rapid growth – Due to rapid growth during puberty and pregnancy skin is stretched beyond its capacity and may cause stretch marks on breasts.
- Rapid weight gain – Obesity is one of the most common causes of stretch marks.
- Body building exercises – Strengthening exercise of upper body may lead to hypertrophy of muscles and can lead to stretch marks on breasts.
- Hormonal changes that occur during puberty and pregnancy.
- Prolonged use of steroid containing ointments.
- Oral corticosteroids if taken for long period of time.
Stretch marks commonly occur on breast, thighs, hips, lower abdomen and buttocks. Initially they appear as reddish purplish lines. These lines have different texture from that of surrounding normal skin. Occasionally there may be little itching at the site of stretch marks. Stretch marks are harmless. But they can cause embarrassment and woman can become self conscious. One may take treatment for cosmetic purpose.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks On Breasts
- Avoid rapid weight gain. Maintain healthy weight with balanced diet. Avoid high calorie food substances.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for rapid body building.
- Topical application is the best choice of treatment. Certain ointments are available in the market, which claim to reduce stretch marks.
- Massage the stretch marks on breasts with vitamin E oil. It helps to reduce stretch marks. Vitamin E capsules are available in market.
- Mix olive oil or almond oil with five drops of lavender and three drops of chamomile and apply on stretch marks.
- Cocoa butter helps in reducing stretch marks.
- Massage stretch marks with warm olive oil daily. Massage will improve the local circulation and reduce stretch marks.
- Calendula oil, castor oil or cod liver oil can be used to massage stretch marks.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin well hydrated.
- Vitamin A, vitamin E and vitamin C help to maintain elasticity of the skin. Include fresh vegetables, fruits and nuts in your diet.
- Moderate exercise will help to tone up your body. It will help to tighten the skin and help to reduce stretch marks.
Laser treatment is avoided as far a possible as breasts are very delicate and sensitive parts. Surgery will also leave scar on the breast hence it is not an option to treat stretch marks on breasts. When all conservative methods fail only then one must resort to surgical treatment under the guidance of an expert.