There are several factors that are responsible for pain while passing stools. The most common cause of pain is constipation, which results in the formation of dry hard and knotty stools. These hard stools can result in irritation and tearing of the mucosa of the anus, which can result in burning and pain while passing stools. However there are several other causes, other than constipation which can result in pain when passing stools.
What Causes Pain While Passing Stools
Some of the common causes associated with pain while passing stools include,
- Anal fissures and fistulas can be associated with pain while passing stools.
- Piles or hemorrhoids are another common factor which is responsible for pain while passing stools. Piles are often associated with bleeding during stools.
- Gastro-intestinal infections like amebiasis or giardiasis are often associated with sharp pains and abdominal colic while passing stools. These infections are often associated with loose motions, abdominal cramps, dehydration and fever.
- Ulcerative colitis and Cohn’s disease are two common bowel disorders which are associated with pain while passing stools. These conditions can be treated only with appropriate dietary regimen.
- Colon cancer is another factor which is responsible for pain while passing stools.
Home Remedies For Pain While Passing Stools
There are a host of home remedies that are useful in treating pain while passing stools. However before selecting the home remedy it is crucial to identify the underlying cause responsible for pain while passing stools,
- Constipation can be treated effectively by increasing the intake of dietary fiber.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in a cup of water overnight and then consume them early morning. This helps in improving bowel movement and reducing pain while passing stools.
- Mangoes are considered to be very beneficial in the management of amebiasis and giardiasis. Mangoes have strong antibacterial properties which have the ability to fight bacterial infections of the stomach. Consuming a teaspoon of turmeric along with a glass of warm milk is also considered beneficial in management of stomach and intestinal infections.
- Limit the intake of refined and processed foods. Refined foods are difficult to digest and tend to aggravate the symptoms associated with chronic ailments like the Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Local application of aloe vera gel or castor oil on the anal fissures, while help smoothen the pain associated with passing stools.
- Homeopathic drugs like Bryonia and Calcarea Carb are beneficial in treatment of constipation and also alleviate the symptoms associated with painful piles.