Pain below the left rib cage is a common affliction which affects many people. Stomach and diaphragm are two important body parts that are found below the rib cage. When these two major organs get afflicted, it can lead to a feeling of pain below the rib cage. The severity of the pain depends on the severity of affliction. However, in most of the cases the pain is harmless and can be controlled with home remedies. The pain is caused by some common reasons.
What Causes Pain Under Left Rib Cage?
The stomach can get afflicted for the following reasons:
- Indigestion – This might happen because of overeating.
- Stomach ulcer – Stomach pain is also caused because of stomach ulcer. This happens primarily when the lining in the stomach develops sores due to uncontrolled acidic problems. The pain can be severe at times and can be experienced from below the ribs.
- Inflamed spleen – When the spleen gets affected, it can lead to severe pain under the ribs on the left side.
- Acid Reflux – When acid produced in the stomach climbs into the food pipe due to over-production or over eating, it can cause a sensation of heart burn. Sometimes the burn is so severe that it can be felt as a pain under the left rib cage.
- Costochondritis – This condition is caused by a virus and affects cartilages below the breastbone. This is commonly felt as a pain arising from below the left rib cage.
- Pain under the left rib cage can also happen because of broken ribs. At times, the lower ribs may get injured because of a forceful impact commonly administered by accidents or major blows.
Home Remedies To Relieve Pain Under Left Rib Cage?
If the pain below the left rib cage is caused by digestion problems, it can be easily cured by home remedies. Some such home remedies include:
- Add a teaspoon of roasted and ground coriander seeds to a glass of butter milk and have it.
- Munch about a teaspoon of aniseed after a heavy meal, to nip the pain in the bud.
- A teaspoon of carom seeds and a pinch of black salt can reduce the pain at once.
- A mixture of roasted cumin seeds and water can cause the pain to subside.
- Drinking green tea or herbal tea can help immensely in quick digestion.
- The pain can be also be reduced by taking two teaspoons of coriander juice with a bowl of buttermilk.
Home remedies can be a good way of curing pain below the rib cage because it works soon enough and is harmless. However, it can work only if the problem arises because of stomach related problems. If the pain is caused by an accident or doesn’t get healed by the above mentioned remedies, it is advisable to consult a physician.