Leukocytes are white blood cells (WBC) that defend the body against infectious microorganisms. When leukocytes get killed or damaged fighting off an infection, the body expels them through the urine. So, a small number of leukocytes are always found in the urine.
However, if the amount happens to be sufficiently larger then it is indicative of urinary tract infection (UTI) such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), damage to urethra and bladder or major prostate issues.
What Are The Causes Of Leukocytes In Urine?
- Kidney infections: When the kidney gets infected, it causes the leukocytes count in the urine to go up.
- Urinary tract blockage: When the urinary tract gets blocked it can cause leukocytes to flow out through the urine. At times, it is expelled along with blood. This can happen when there is a pelvis tumor, kidney stones, prostate hypertrophy or injury to the pelvic.
- Holding urine for too long: Not urinating on time can weaken the bladder. In due course, a weak bladder would not be able to empty itself completely. If urine is leftover in the bladder for too long, it can lead to infection thereby increasing the level of leukocytes.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women may have high leukocyte count in the urine because of a contaminated vagina.
Signs Of Leukocytes In Urine
Leukocytes in urine are usually accompanied by the following signs:
- Overpowering bad urine odor.
- Elimination of unclear urine.
- Mild temperature and chill feeling.
- Extreme burning sensations when passing urine.
- Presence of blood in urine.
- Frequent urination.
Home Remedies To Treat High Leukocytes In Urine
Treatment primarily involves treating the infection which causes it to appear.
- One of the good home remedies is drinking copious water. This would lead to frequent urination thereby causing the bacteria to flush out. An infected person should have at least 10 – 12 glasses of water per day.
- When the acidity content of urine increases it can prevent bacterial growth. This can be ensured by consuming more vitamin C. Cranberry juice is rich in vitamin C. An infected person should take at least 1000 mg of vitamin C every day to cure this disease.
- Echinacea can help cure the infection fast. Drinking Echinacea tea or consuming the herb once per day can be extremely beneficial.
- Bacterial growth in urine can be checked by potassium and certain enzymes. Apple cider vinegar contains high concentration of enzymes and potassium and so should be consumed to cure the infection. Likewise, blueberries and pineapples can help fight bacteria.
- Foods rich in fiber content can also help flush out urinary impurities. The infection can also be checked by drinking a glass of water mixed with ½ a teaspoon of baking soda.
Home remedies are natural ways of curing the disease. It not only cures the disease fast but also ensures that it doesn’t recur.