When the body burns fat to derive energy, it leads to the formation of products called ketones. This happens when there is insufficient insulin the body. Insulin is produced by the pancreas and helps in pushing glucose into the cells for metabolism. Lack of insulin prevents the sugar from getting into the cell thus causing the sugar to remain in the blood stream.
When there is no sugar, the cell burns fat to release energy, thereby leading to release of ketones as a byproduct. High levels of ketones can be toxic for the body and as a form of self-defense the body excretes excess ketones along with urine.
What Are The Causes Of Ketones In Urine?
High levels of ketones commonly happen to people who have type 1 diabetes. Even people suffering from type 2 diabetes can contract this disease. Such people usually don’t take enough insulin supplements to ensure that blood sugar reaches the cell.
The common causes related to high ketones in urine are related to causes that lead to a rise in the level of sugar in your body. Your sugar levels may go up when you:
- Miss insulin dose or skip oral medications.
- When your insulin pump tube is blocked or disconnected.
- Down with the flu.
- Undertake too much stress.
- Eat more carbohydrates than you are supposed too.
Symptoms Of Ketones In Urine
When you suffer from symptoms associated with high blood sugar, it may well suggest that you are suffering from ketones in urine.
In other words, when you urinate too frequently or feel thirsty too often or are suffering from blurred vision or if your mouth feels dry frequently there are high chances that you might be eliminating high levels of ketones with urine.
In such conditions, you feel fatigued soon and find it difficult to take much stress.
Home Remedies To Control Ketones In Urine
When the urine ketone count shoots up, it means your sugar level is out of control. This means you should immediately consult a physician to plan out ways to bring your sugar as well as ketone levels down. Here are some effective natural ways to check ketone levels in the body.
- Drink bitter gourd juice on empty stomach every day in the morning. This vegetable is known for its blood glucose lowering effects thus helping bring down ketone levels.
- Mix a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon with warm water and drink it daily. Powdered cinnamon stimulates insulin activity and lowers blood sugar levels considerably. This effectively checks production of ketones.
- Diabetes can also be controlled using fenugreek. Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water and drink it empty stomach every morning.
- Indian gooseberry helps in promoting the functioning of the pancreas. It is also rich in vitamin C and can help bring down ketone levels considerably.
- Mango leaves are known to regulate insulin and ketone levels in the blood. Soak a few mango leaves overnight, filter the water and drink it on an empty stomach. Eating powdered mango leaves can also be very helpful.