Fever can be a really alarming symptom for parents; it makes one fearful, more so, when the fever is too high and / or the child is only a few weeks old.
A fever is a sign that the body is trying to fight off an infection. The baby’s head and body will be hot and he will be crankier than usual. In addition, the infant’s appetite will have decreased, he will show no interest in play, his sleep will be restless and decreased, he would be sluggish; intermittently, there may be episodes of seizures as well.
You need to take your baby’s temperature and discuss with your health care provider to start quick, appropriate and timely management of the condition.
Most Common Causes Of Fever In Infants
A fever is actually an indicator of an infection or some disorder in the body, and needs to be investigated. Common causes for fever in infants and children are:
- Common cold
- Throat infection
- Ear infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Stomach infection
- A reaction to a vaccine
- The child may be overheated from being swaddled or has spent too much time outdoors on a hot day.
How To Reduce Fever In Babies Naturally?
If the child is less than 5 months old and has fever, it is imperative that you speak with your pediatrician at once. It is very crucial that the doctor establishes the precise cause for the fever and start treatment for the condition as well as to bring down the temperature without the slightest delay.
For children that are 6 months and older, you could try these home remedies to reduce the temperature; nonetheless, it is essential to discuss with the pediatrician, run a couple of tests and understand the cause of the fever:
- Place a wet wash cloth on your child’s forehead and abdomen; keeping changing the cloths repeatedly.
- Never give fever-reducing drugs without consulting the pediatrician. You must talk to your health care provider for advice.
- Make sure the child is well hydrated.
- Give him cold foods, such as –ice pops and yogurt; this cools him down from the inside and hydrates him too.
- Use a fan, kept at a low setting to cool him; let the air flow around him rather than blowing air directly on him.
- Do not swaddle the child; make him wear a light layer of clothes, that helps lose heat easily through the skin. In case of shivering, wrap a light blanket around him.
- Ginger is a powerful natural antipyretic agent. Give the baby a pinch of dried ginger powder mixed with honey.
- If the baby is 4 months old or lesser, you ought to get in touch with your pediatrician without wasting any time.
- What’s more, no matter what the age of your child is, it is wise to call the pediatrician and report the other manifestations, carry out the investigations recommended by the doctor and starting suitable treatment.