Hemorrhoids are swollen and dilated veins in the rectum and the anal region. It is also called piles by many. Constant straining during defecation, constipation, pressure on the veins as observed during pregnancy are some of the causes for development of hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoids or piles can be categorized in two varieties; external hemorrhoids and internal hemorrhoids. External piles can be seen with naked eyes while examining and it can also be felt by the patient when he touches the anal region. Whereas internal piles cannot be seen or felt as they are located inside the anal canal.
Hemorrhoids are one of the commonest problems seen in many adults. Men and women are equally affected with this condition. Despite high incidence of this condition, many people are ignorant or do not consider the problem seriously. Partly they feel embarrassed and shy to talk about their problem with the doctor as well as their near and dear ones. Piles problems can be completely cured if it is detected in its early stage. Most cases of hemorrhoids occur due to faulty dietary habits, lack of fiber in diet and too much of fatty food.
Home Remedies For Bleeding Hemorrhoids
The pain and itching can often be relieved at home by following certain ways such as;
- Apply witch hazel or over the counter ointment for hemorrhoids for numbing the sensation. Many times ointment and suppositories which contain hydrocortisone are prescribed by the doctor.
- Sitz bath: it is one of the important home treatments for hemorrhoids. All you have to do is to sit in a tub filled with warm water which can soak the anal region.
- Clean the anal area every time after a bowel movement with plain water and then gently pat the area dry.
- Alternate ice and warm fomentation on the anal area may be effective in relieving pain and itching.
- When hemorrhoids are painful and irritated, avoid sitting for long hours in one position. Take a pillow or a cushion to sit over.
- Wear loose undergarments that will provide free air circulation and prevent moisture to build up in the area.
Natural Cure And Diet For Hemorrhoids
There are many time tested home remedies and natural cures practiced since ages to treat hemorrhoids such as:
- Dry figs: soak dry figs in warm water at night. Next morning eat the soaked figs and the left out water. Figs contain tiny seeds which help in regularizing the bowel movement. It relieves constipation in long run. Since constipation is one of the major causes for hemorrhoids, figs are beneficial in such situation.
- Radish: since olden times radish is used to treat hemorrhoid problem. Grate one white radish and eat it after mixing the pulp with two teaspoon of honey. Alternately, you can also drink 50 ml of radish juice mixed with other juices such as carrot or beet root juice. The pulp of radish soaked in milk can also be applied on the external hemorrhoid for relieving pain and inflammation.
- Oranges and other citrus fruits play an important role in strengthening the blood vessel lining. They also help to ease bowel movement and prevent constipation.
- Drink enough water to keep your body as well as the digestive tract well hydrated. Drink at least 8 glasses of water in a day. You can also eat vegetables and fruits which are high in water content.
- Yam is another effective natural medicine for treating hemorrhoids. Dry few slices of elephant yam and grind it into fine powder. In the morning and evening take 1 teaspoon of this powder with milk or water. It is a good remedy to reduce swollen piles.
How To Stop Bleeding From Hemorrhoids?
Apply locally witch hazel in the anal area. The patient can also apply Aloe Vera juice or apple cider vinegar. Soak any of the ingredients in a clean cloth or on the sterile gauze and apply it on the external piles.
Seeds of mango are very effective in bleeding hemorrhoids. During the mango season, collect mango seeds and dry them. Grind these mango seeds into fine powder and store it in a clean bottle. When there is bleeding from piles, take half or one gram of mango seed powder with one teaspoon of honey or even plain water. It is found to be an effective vasoconstrictor and thus reduces bleeding from the hemorrhoids.