The term numbness stands for complete or partial loss of sensation. This means those afflicted cannot feel sensation like pain, light touch, temperature, or vibration. Numbness in the head can trigger a similar feeling. Because of this, patents may find it hard to walk or drive and may trip over or meet with accidents. Tough this is not a painful disease, if present for a long time, it can lead to chronic problems.
What Causes Numbness In Head?
There are various reasons that can cause numbness in head and some of them are:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries can cause severe damage to the nerves.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Nerves also get damaged when the spinal cord gets injured or infected. This injury can damage major nerves leading to numbness in the head. Cervical nerves get damaged because of degenerative discs, meningitis herniated disks, or multiple sclerosis.
- Cervical Nerves Irritation: The cervical nerves provide sensation to the head and face. These nerves in the brain stem, spinal cord, or trigeminal nerve can get irritated due to various reasons causing numbness.
- Multiple Sclerosis: Numbness in head may also be caused due to sclerosis, an autoimmune disease affecting the brain stem or spinal cord.
- Trigeminal Neuropathic Pain: Head numbness can be triggered by trigeminal neuropathic pain which may set in because of physical trauma, dental procedure, surgery or diabetes.
- Epilepsy: Epilepsy obstructs the flow of blood through the neck artery. This can be one of the reasons for causing numbness in head.
- Besides these, head numbness can be caused because of blood vessel pressure and diseases like Shingles and Lyme.
Numbness In Head Symptoms
Head numbness is accompanied with both objective and subjective symptoms.
- Numb feeling
- Feeling of brain fog
- Feeling of a haze
- Feeling of being physically present but mentally absent
- Weakness or paralysis
- Difficulty in talking
- Extreme headache
Home Remedies To Relieve Head Numbness
You can get relief from numbness in head by doing the following:
- Put your hands in hot water. This can help in pulling pressure out of the head.
- Apply a compress of water and lavender oil on your head to reduce the numbness.
- Deep and slow breathing can help you get rid of head numbness.
- Tie a cloth tightly around your head. This can take off the pressure on your head.
If none of these works, then you will need to seek medical attention. Proper medical assistance can help identifying the underlying cause of numbness in head.
Those suffering from this disease need to mandatorily do the following:
- Avoid consuming too much of red wine, chocolate, cheese and citrus fruits. All these foods contain tyramine which can lead to head numbness.
- Give up smoking as it leads to improper blood circulation.
- Avoid over stressing. It is advisable to take short breaks while at work to keep yourself relaxed.