Head lice are a big troublemaker, more so, for school going children. Lice tend to spread very quickly from one individual to another, and cause a lot of itching of the scalp. Lice affect the hair and the scalp and occasionally, they may occur in other hairy parts as well. They feed on human blood and suck blood using needle like oral organs, which penetrate the skin.
The 3 phases of a louse’s life are: egg, nymph and adult. The nymphs emerge from the eggs within 10 days. Adults have a life-cycle of thirty days.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Lice
- Onion: onions are very effective for lice treatment. Grate 1 onion and squeeze out the juice. Massage in to the scalp. Keep the onion juice for 2 hours. Then wash your hair well.
- Peppermint essential oil: add 20 drops of peppermint oil to 100 ml of your shampoo. Peppermint oil promises to get rid of all lice and also wards off recurrences.
- Fenugreek seeds: soak a spoon of fenugreek seeds in a bowl of water for an hour. After an hour grind into a paste. Apply the paste to the scalp. Fenugreek seeds effectively fight hair lice and eliminate them permanently.
- Garlic: garlic is an amazing anti-septic and anti-microbial. The oil kills the lice and also checks secondary infections. Grind 5 flakes of raw garlic and add 10 to 20 drops of lime juice. Massage this blend in the scalp and also the hair strands, every night and keep for 8 hours.
After you use the home remedies to fight lice infestation, you must run a comb through the hair, after you have washed the hair, so as to get rid of the eggs and dead lice.
Natural Head Lice Treatment
- Coconut oil: is a remarkable anti-microbial. Blend together 3 spoons of coconut oil with camphor or lime, and apply every night. Shampoo your hair next morning.
- Tea tree essential oil: the tea tree essential oil is very effective to tackle lice. The oil quickly kills the lice and combats itching and burning of the scalp efficiently. Furthermore, the oil eliminates eggs too.
- Lime: add 20 drops of lime juice to either almond oil or coconut oil or olive oil. Massage in to the scalp. Wash off after 3 hours. Make sure you use a lice comb after washing your hair.
You can eliminate the menace of lice infestation within 5 to 7 days of using the above home remedies on daily basis. What’s more, hygiene plays an important role too. Avoid head contact with anyone, especially, if that person is affected. Never share combs, brushes and hair accessories with others.