Frequent urination in simple words can be considered when a person passes urine many times than usual. There is compelling urge for voidance. Anyone can suffer from frequent urination. A small child, men and women all can be affected. It can be during the day or during the night or throughout 24 hours.
The reason for frequent urination can vary; it can be harmless as seen after drinking plenty of water or fluids or after consuming excess of alcohol or caffeinated drinks. Pregnant women may experience frequency of urine due to compression of enlarged uterus on the urinary bladder.
While in some cases frequent urination can be associated with other symptoms such as burning urination, or red urination, fever etc, sometimes it can also occur without any symptoms. In any case, when a person passes urine many times than what he used to void previously, he should not neglect it and talk to his doctor to find the reason behind this abnormal condition.
What Causes Frequent Urination In Women And Men?
Let us begin with normal condition first;
- When a person drinks lots of water or fluids frequently, it is natural for him to pass urine frequently.
- A pregnant woman has to visit bathroom many times due to growing pressure of enlarged uterus on the bladder.
- Frequency increases in cold weather due to absence of perspiration.
- Person taking diuretics has to pass urine frequently.
Aside from the above normal reasons for frequent passage of urine, there are some disease conditions which may also lead to urinary frequency, they are as follows:
- Acute and chronic urinary tract infection.
- Enlarged prostate (also called benign prostate hypertrophy) is one of the commonest problems responsible for frequent urination in elderly males.
- Bladder cancer.
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea, where the person may also complain of burning pain and passage of thick pus like material while urinating.
- Inflammation of bladder and prostate.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease, often observed in women after gonorrhea or other sexually transmitted disease.
- Prolapsed of bladder, uterus etc.
- Systemic disease such as uncontrolled diabetes.
- Sometimes due to anxiety and fear, a person may complain of urinary frequency.
- Overactive bladder.
- Bladder stones.
- After radiation treatment for pelvic organs.
Home Remedies To Stop Frequent Urination
In many cases, frequent urination can be treated at home with natural remedies. Below are given some of the important home remedies.
- Cranberry juice: it is one of the proved natural home remedies to ward off urinary tract infection which is responsible for frequent urination.
- Banana: Though sweet, it is a great remedy for frequent urination in diabetics. Diabetics who complain of frequent urine at night may find relief by eating a single banana before going to bed. If your diabetes is under control you can try it, but patients with uncontrolled diabetes should always ask their doctor before trying this method.
- Pomegranate skin: grind the skin with small amount of water and prepare pomegranate skin paste. Now take a pinch of it and eat it. Drink one cup of water together with it. Follow it regularly for a week morning and night. It is useful for inflammation and infection in bladder which may be responsible for frequent urination.
- Buttermilk and yogurt: eating them regularly also prevent and treat harmful organisms present in the urinary system.
- Kegel exercise: it is a simple exercise that you can practice at home to make your pelvic muscles strong. In this exercise you have to contract and relax your pelvic muscle floor for five seconds.
- Avoid drinking excess of caffeinated drinks and alcohol before bedtime.
- Avoid spicy food and tomato products.
- Potatoes, squash, brown rice, barley are some of the foods that can help in preventing frequent urination.