Fluid in abdomen is a condition in which excess fluid begins to accumulate within the abdominal cavity. It is commonly known as Ascites. This fluid forms a puddle between the organs within the abdomen and the abdominal wall.
Mild ascites is barely noticeable but in extreme cases, the abdomen distends disproportionately and the intestines and organs like liver, spleen, and pancreas actually submerge in this mass of fluid.
What Causes Fluid Buildup In Abdomen?
Ascites is primarily caused by liver failure. When the liver fails to perform up to capacity, it fails to produce sufficient protein to maintain oncotic pressure.
Liver failure may happen due to cirrhosis of liver, in which damaged liver tissue is replaced by scar tissue and Budd-Chiari syndrome, in which the hepatic veins responsible for draining of the liver gets blocked. Fluid in abdomen is also caused because of cancer.
Cancer cells damage the epithelial tissues of the abdomen causing it to release too much fluid. Cancers that can cause fluid in abdomen include bowel cancer, breast cancer, cervical cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer, ovarian cancer, pancreatic cancer, and stomach cancer.
Other causes of ascites include, when the heart performs below capacity causing it to pump inadequate levels of fluid into the blood vessels; a damaged kidney, which can cause protein to leak into the urine and decreases oncotic pressure and disorders of the pancreas and ovary.
Symptoms Of Fluid Retention In Abdomen
The primary symptom of ascites is swelling of the abdomen. This leads to clothes feeling tighter or the need to adjust belt size.
People afflicted with this disease also find it difficult to sit or move about easily. Patients with fluid in abdomen due to heart failure also suffer from breathlessness or wheezing.
Home Remedies For Abdominal Fluid Retention
Ascities can be healed with the help of the following home remedies:
- Garlic: Garlic helps to maintain proper functioning of organs. The medicinal value of garlic can be best used to cure Ascities. Add half teaspoon of garlic juice to 125 ml of water and drink the mixture regularly. The good effects can be noticed in a couple of weeks’ time.
- Gram: Boil 25 grams of gram in quarter liter of water till the water reduces to half. Strain the liquid and drink it. After 3 weeks’ time, the therapy can bring about lot of improvement.
- Bitter Gourd: Bitter gourd reduces cholesterol levels, prevents heart problems, and fatigue. This works best when taken in empty stomach. Extract 25 ml juice of bitter gourd and drink it thrice a day. This remedy can bring about relief in a few weeks’ time.
- Radish: Radish stimulates the functioning of kidneys, liver and digestive system and even removes toxins from the body. Radishes can be very beneficial in the treatment of this disease. Extract juice from the leaves of the radish plant, mix it with water and consume it daily.
- Restrict water intake: Consuming more water than needed can worsen the condition of the patient. It can lead to more swelling. Milk can be used as a substitute for water. Fluids like buttermilk and carrot juice can also help to cure this disease as they restore body energy, without adding more fluid content in the abdominal cavity. A patient suffering from this disease need to take plenty of onions as it is a very powerful diuretic and can eliminate excess fluid through urination.
As natural cures have no side effects, it can serve as the best remedy to get relief from the symptoms of this condition. Using natural home remedies cannot only help us control a serious disease like fluid in abdomen but also strengthen the immune system and deliver long term results.